THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

.30-30 Ruger no 1-a
170gr Federal round nose soft point (Hornady Interlock?)
150 yards

Shot all three on the evening of Black Friday 2021. Bullets Exited on every one of them. I love this rifle and cartridge. A lot of fun to shoot

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
2016 near Medicine Bow, Wyoming
Ruger No. 1 in 270 Win

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many moons past, dad had a ranch in Mexico near the Texas border, it had a lot of deer on it,and had seldom been hunted..One day he said grab that little 30-30 or yours (savage 219) I want a couple of deer and intend to kill a hog and make sauage..

we saddled up and made a pretty long ride looking for Mule deer in the rim rock country..He told me to sit on this big rock and watch a trail across the draw about a 100 yards and he was going to make a circle and see if he had some cattle at a near by water hole..I asked how many deer, he said what ever comes down that trail..I sat on that rock as told and after a while 5 big bucks came walking down the trail, I shot the first one and the rest just looked at me and I shot the other 4..like I said they had never been hunted...Dad came up and asked what all the shooting was about..He had a damn fit because it took us all day and another day to pack out all the meat..Gave one to the Forestals, one too the people in Boquillas another to camp staff and used two for sauage..He allowed I did what I was told but I should have known better...That little savage 219 was a neat little saddle gun, flat and easy to pack in a saddle scabbard...I shot a lot of deer with a 22 LR SS and a win 63 on that ranch feeding a fencing crew.That was about 75 years ago I suppose..Shot Javalina for dad with a REm ss using shorts, got 25 cents for each hog..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:Shot Javalina for dad with a REm ss using shorts, got 25 cents for each hog..

Decent money for back then?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great story Ray. When I was very young, my dad kept us fed with deer meat during his yearly winter layoffs at the local steel mill, with deer that he shot with a Winchester Model 62, bolt action 22lr at my granddad's ranch. He would leave in the evening in the '54 Chev. coupe and return a few hours later with a deer in the trunk. Big Grin He told me years later something about poaching. . . . . . rotflmo clap I ate so much deer meat growing up, that when I had beef it tasted strange! Big Grin But, to answer the original question: Yes, I have a number of single shot hunting rifles in 1885 high and low walls in various calibers. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sat for hogs at night in Germany with a single shot in 7x57R that was made by Wolf in Suhl. Was a borrowed gun...wish I owned it...way more than I could have afforded in those years.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Sorry I don't have any pictures of dead animals, but I've used my Alexander Henry rook rifle to harvest two deer using either Hornady .358 180-gr SSP or Speer 180-grain FN bullets at about 1900 fps.

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

This Gibbs Farquharson in 6.5x53mm has also harvested a deer.

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Spring black bear hunting starts here April 1 2022

I'll be taking this little 16" Bullberry barreled T/C Contender carbine in 45-70 loaded with 300gr - 430gr bullets

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rogersgunworks those are some magnificent rifles you have.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
Rogersgunworks those are some magnificent rifles you have.

Thank you very much. I was fortunate to obtain both rifles with the actions and engraving in great shape but the barrels and stocks had to be replaced. I rebuilt both in the style of the originals. Gibbs Farquharsons and Alexander Henrys are getting hard to find but both great rifles.
Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are very talented!!
I have an old Fraser/Henry that just begs for your attention.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a couple of old single shot Remington five-teens, and am getting a pair of Stevens Favorites together.
Peep sights would be nice on the Favorites, but don't want to drill and tap.
Maybe a Williams 5D on the dovetail where the original sight is now.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote