THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yes, I do!
Here is my Blaser K95, model: Black Edition, cal: 270 Win and has a straigth stock.
The scop is a Zeiss, 2,5x10-50, reticle: 56.
The shooting performance is excellent, 3 shot groups @100m below 15mm.
Best regards
Heinz

Posts: 7 | Location: Germany | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Remington 40X with blind magazine counts as such then yes, I do. 222 and 308

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Loved going back through this thread and seeing the photos....especially since my No. 1 collection is growing again

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should take my NO.1 hunting again.

My family and I have killed a lot of game with it.

It fell out of favor to a savage 99. Wink

Just because.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I see this thread has been going a long time, but somehow I missed it. A small collection of Ruger No. 1s has a home here. But, I've only taken anything with a 1S in 300 H&H. Red Stag, Zebra, Warthog, Impala, Springbok, Hartebeest, Gemsbok, Kudu, and Eland. Love that rifle. Hope one day to take something with a No. 1 RSI in 7x57. It is a joy to handle and shoots far better than it has any right to do.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
WOW talk about thread revivals...

I have been mostly hunting with T/C Contender carbines.

Here are a few of the deer I have shot lately

Mule deer 308Bellm 150gr Core-Loks at 2600fps

22" 45-70 325gr FTX blacktail

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Single shot Remington 700
6.5x47 Lapua, peep sight, McMillan stock.

https://forum.accurateshooter....0aae7c-jpeg.1260343/

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&R Handi Rifle, 577NE
TC Encore 50-110 Winchester and other cals.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
21" barreled Contender in 375JDJ 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Legal configuration in Canada 14" barreled T/C Contender in 338JDJ #2 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
another blacktail 19" barreled Contender in 6.8SPC loaded with 95gr TTSX @ 2900fps

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
21" barreled Contender in 7-30 Waters loads are 139gr SST's @ 2500fps

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
21" barreled Contender in 308Bellm load is 150gr CoreLoks @ 2620fps

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Shortened to 22" Prohunter in 30-06 load was 150gr CoreLoks @ 2600fps

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
same rifle and loads

Yes I mostly hunt local blacktail deer

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
legal in Canada configuration 14" barrel in 45-70 load was 325gr FTX

one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny thing happened at the farm!!

My nephew and I were driving around on the ranch checking fence and since it was deer season I took my Ruger no. 1-S 30-06. Good move as a huge whitetail and I mean huge ran in front of us about 75 or so yards, I bailed out and stuck a round in my rifle and the action didn't close, so I gave it my best muscle group and it closed but didn't fire and Mr. monster buck lived to fight another day..I looked at my gun and powder on my hand and stock and on the ground lay half a 30-06 case, I had cut it in half..

finished checking fence and back to the house and in the shop to get the other half of the case out of the chamber...Hows that for a severe case of buck fever for someone thats been shooting big deer for near 50 years at the time..exhilerating!! and my nephew was laughing his ass off the rest of the day, retold the story at least 15 times and to everyone that would listen. His description of an old fart shaking like a dog pissing a peach seed owned the moment...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moki, I enjoyed your photos! Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Thank you

From 3 weeks ago = my son finally broke in my legal in Canada 14" barreled T/C Contender carbine in 375JDJ loaded with 220gr Hornady JFP @ 2250fps

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
WOW Atkinson that is a story...

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Moki, I enjoyed your photos! Thanks, Brian

I live in Yarrow BC 1/2 way between Chilliwack and Abbotsford

One of Us
posted Hide Post
moki, Cool, I am in Kamloops.

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
My oldest son is moving from Abbotsford to New Brunswick moving truck is picking up their stuff this Wed Nov 3/21

He just left my house with a non-restricted stainless T/C Contender carbine with a 21" 7-30 Waters barrel, a 21" vent rib 410 barrel, 21" 223 barrel and a 16.5" 22LR match chambered barrel.

He also took his grandfathers 30-06 and my dad's best friends Pre 64 1894 30-30 rifles and enough ammo to last his life time.

He has two son's 4 and 8 years old (my grandson's) so I also included a super short butt stock and another stock that would fit his wife.

These combo's should cover them for all game that is available to hunt in NB.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just barely got my hands on a Stevens Favorite finally, plan to put a new extractor in it and make use of it.
I don't have the peep sight figured out yet, do not want to drill/tap the receiver.
There should be a way to put one on the barrel dovetail.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Some wonderful photos here all right. Thanks to Moki and to SKB.
That .375 JDJ was a handful in a Contender pistol I had, but I can just imagine that it is the nuts out of the carbine.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
My older son took a 2x2 blacktail this last Tuesday he used my 14" T/C Contender carbine in 338JDJ #2 loaded with 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps.

For some reason neither of us took a picture of it I still have the hide head I'll see if I can get a picture before I dispose of it.

He is moving across the country to New Brunswick so I supplied him with several of our rifles.

For single shots I gave him a T/C Contender carbine with 4 barrels a 16.5" 22LR match chamber, a 21" 223, 21" 7-30 Waters and a 21" 410 shotgun.

Also gave him 3 buttstocks in different lengths so my two grandsons ages 4 and 8 will be able to shoot it as the get older.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moki, Do do good things! Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is a little off topic but for me and my older brother in 1953 my father bought for Christmas a M15 Stevens single shot .22 (pulled a knob to cock it)! Due to being a single shot and not having much (read any) money I learned to be a GREAT SHOT! A couple of friends a couple a years later had semi auto's and did the SPRAYED AND PREYED method of shooting. I rarely missed because I made my shots count and had limited funds for ammo!

VIVA THE SINGLE SHOT FIREARM----they teach people to shoot!

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
I know this is a little off topic but for me and my older brother in 1953 my father bought for Christmas a M15 Stevens single shot .22 (pulled a knob to cock it)! Due to being a single shot and not having much (read any) money I learned to be a GREAT SHOT! A couple of friends a couple a years later had semi auto's and did the SPRAYED AND PREYED method of shooting. I rarely missed because I made my shots count and had limited funds for ammo!

VIVA THE SINGLE SHOT FIREARM----they teach people to shoot!

Hip

I started with a Cooey 22 single shot paid $12 for it used never thought about it before but that could be why I like single shots so much Cool

My two son's and I went out this morning will be the last time in many years that we all can hunt together older son and his family are flying to New Brunswick tomorrow morning to start a new life.

Rifles we took = me 14" barreled Contender in 338JDJ #2, older son used our 22" barreled Prohunter in 30-06 he shot his nicest blacktail buck ever with this rifle younger son shot the 19" Contender in 6.8SPc

We also took along my Browning BL22 22 rifle and new to use last week 14" Contender in 17HMR

Only saw one grouse - no deer but we all had a good time shooting up pumpkins

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Moki, that is what I call quality family time. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Yesterday morning 3x3 blacktail buck

legal in Canada 14" barreled T/C Contender carbine in 338JDJ #2 loaded with 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
The 338JDJ #2 loaded this time with 200gr SST's struck again

We are now tagged out on Blacktail son and I scored 4 this fall but there is still an immature bull moose, 4 point mule deer and any buck whitetail deer season going on

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
This is my sons second buck this year he used the 338JDJ #2 as well

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moki:
The 338JDJ #2 loaded this time with 200gr SST's struck again

We are now tagged out on Blacktail son and I scored 4 this fall but there is still an immature bull moose, 4 point mule deer and any buck whitetail deer season going on

That is an awesome rifle! Very nice

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
If I go for moose I'm going to take my stainless shortened to 22" barreled T/C Prohunter in 375H&H my load is not hot = 250gr TTSX @ 2600fps and/or my stainless 21" barreled T/C Contender in 375JDJ loads are 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bergara ba13 .300blk

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos! I love those affordable break open rifles. As I have probably told you, too many times, I use them for my cape buffalo hunting. Thanks for the pictures. Brian

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Major flooding is happening where I live I am under an evacuation order to leave our home I'm lucky I did not leave on my moose hunt

due to wash outs mud slide bridges out etc etc if I had left I would never have gotten back

I have 3 deer hanging in a butcher shop that is more in the epicenter of the flooding I drove there this morning they were still high and dry

When I got home I learnt that the order had been issued

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
All three deer are cut and wrapped and safe in my freezers... dancing