THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I know what you were asking, so this is no way a rebuke or criticism as I hunt with the type of rifle you're referring to and love it.

But just thinking it over, everyone essentially hunts with a single shot, don't they? That being the first shot one fires at an animal.

I've never seen a rifle that intentionally fires two rounds at the same instant. Some folks hunt with rifles that allow their second single shot to be fired more quickly than other folks' rifles do. But is that rapid firing of multiple shots really an advantage in the long run? (Eexcept on dangerous game where multiple well-placed hits may be needed to STOP a dangerous animal rather than just kill it.)

After all, a person can't reload and miss again quickly enough for rapid follow-up misses to do any good no matter how many or how quickly, and he shouldn't be depending on lucky hits on vital places from a fusilade of shots....

I honestly believe many hunters, especially beginners, would be more benefited by being restricted to rifles which we commonly refer to as "single shot" ones. And I'm pretty sure the animals would benefit from that restriction too. I believe there would be less wounded game , including less "lost" wounded game that way. Animals would likely be benefited by being either missed entirely, or being less likely wounded by a hastily taken shot or shots. Learning patience and skill with one's shots makes good hunters in my eyes.

I'm not asking anyione to agree, just expressing the way I see it. YMMVAWB (AWB = A Whole Bunch)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Getting in on this one late. I have hunted with a few actual "Single Shots" but prefer a bolt action. One of the problems I have noticed with a certain segment of todays hunters, deals with the "Double Tap" concept. I have watched too many folks especially with the various semi-autos, that seem unduly concerned about getting off the second shot and not concentrating on letting the first do the work.

Lots of game and lots of men have been killed down thru the centuries with single shot rifles. Having a fast follow up shot can be a comfort, making sure the first shot goes where it needs to will negate the "Need" for that second shot in nearly all cases. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been hunting with my Ruger No.1B in .243 for the last 4 years or so. Taken 4 deer with it with 4 shots.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own many rifles but have shot all my elk with this one, No.1-S 200 year in .300 WM. I got it from a good friend who took several mulies and o ne elk with it as well.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Ruger #1A 7x57 and a Merkel BBF 16ga/7x57R

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Getting in on this one late. I have hunted with a few actual "Single Shots" but prefer a bolt action. One of the problems I have noticed with a certain segment of todays hunters, deals with the "Double Tap" concept. I have watched too many folks especially with the various semi-autos, that seem unduly concerned about getting off the second shot and not concentrating on letting the first do the work.

Lots of game and lots of men have been killed down thru the centuries with single shot rifles. Having a fast follow up shot can be a comfort, making sure the first shot goes where it needs to will negate the "Need" for that second shot in nearly all cases. JMO.

I agree, especially with your second paragraph. I do practice reloading as quickly as possible my Ruger #1 rifles but strive to get that first shot where it counts as priority one.
I'll be doing a cow elk hunt in December and the outfitter will not allow single shot rifles. Frowner He may have a point though as it is a late season cull/meat hunt and the elk really are spooky as hell. I used my .35 Whelen that last time and haven't made up my mind just what I'll take this year. I did take a .300 Win. Mag. as back up in case shots were to be way out yonder. Wink
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to date, I have not killed anything bigger than a Zebra with a single shot rifle. Wickliffe/Ondrus kit built in 45-120, 525gr GC bullet and 62gr of Varget. Right at 450 NE #2 power level.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last two years I killed whitetails with a T/C Encore handgun in 44 mag and an H&R Ultra Slughunter rifled 12 ga. Each of them went about 100 yards and tipped over. I did need a finisher with the 44 mag, but easy to do from about 10 feet after follow-up.

I've killed a pile of small game and pests with a single-shot 22 using CB caps.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Antelope with 300 H&H

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This season for deer, I'll be using my 1A 7x57 or or my 1S 300 H&H magnum. Both will be in camp and I'll decide each morning which goes in the woods that day. It's great to have choices!

Don't know if I'll get out for the elk season, but if I do, the 300 H&H will be with me.

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 526 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No game with it yet since I just got it but I will be hunting with it this year. Pedersoli Sharps .40-65

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, pacecars.
I have a Pedersoli "The Boss", chambered for the .45-70. A Sharps with pistol grip and barreled for a "smaller" round, is on my wishlist.
Sharps rifles you can not even have enough. Big Grin

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started life shooting two 1930s single shot 22s which I still have .This year I'll try to 'break in' my Lone Star Rifle 45-70 [Rolling Block ]It's a shame they're no longer made .My Browning 1885 ,45-70 has been well 'broken in' dancing
One shot , one deer !

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Well Jeff Sullivan the pictures of your short barreled T/C Encore/Prohunter in 9.3X74 on page 2 of this thread have totally inspired me.

I have been trying for years to come up with a .375" cartridge/rifle combo to give me velocity performance 1/2 way between my 375JDJ & 375RUM.

Only single shots I have ever really been into are my T/C Contender carbines but due to your post I just purchased a s/s Prohunter in 7mm mag.

I am selling the 7mm mag barrel and buying a non-fluted 26" 375H&H s/s Encore barrel going to have it shortened to 20" - 21" and load 250gr Barnes TTSX @ 2600fps and 300gr Prohunters/A-Frames/Partitions @ 2375fps.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
About an hour after sunrise on opening day of Kentucky's 2012 deer season. The rifle is chambered in .38-55 Winchester.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add to my post . I bloodied my rolling block since that postwave
Culling at a preserve I got a 300 lb red deer.This time the deer didn't help. This at 100 yds , iron sights.As I squeezed she started to run so the perfect lung shot ended as a perfect gut shot ! But it slowed her down and a second shot went through both shoulders smashing lots of bone .This with Corbon DPX [Barnes] 300 gr @ 1900 fps. The rifle is very barrel heavy so I used Stoney POint bipod.A good day !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This years buck taken in South Dakota with My H&H .30 Super. The longest shot I have attempted with this gun by far at 180 yards. I was quite please with the old gun and am gaining more confidence with it each time out.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Browning Hi-Wall in .270 with an octagonal barrel. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if anyone interested my single shot arriwed from germany,i dont know how t post photos so can pm and i will send photos on you email,its break open in 7x65r

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These photos posted for Teutonic

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted Whitetail last year with a Ruger number 1 in 35 whelen. Great rifle...1 shot was enough.

Posts: 31 | Location: Spartanburg SC | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teutonic, that is a fine looking rifle.

Posts: 48 | Location: About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23) | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thx JOE,,its light nd very accurate,in my favorite all arounder 7x65R

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are very welcome. Do they make them with double set triggers?

Posts: 48 | Location: About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23) | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes they do,i have single set triger,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here my two K95s.Both with straigth stocks. Sadly Blaser now only makes the K95 straigth stock on custom order. The one on the top a luxus in 270 weatherby magnum. Scope Z6i 3-18x50 BT . The one underneath is a super luxus in 257 weatherby magnum. Scope Z6i gen 2 5-30x50 BT . The octagonal barrel is in 30R Blaser.Scope Zeiss 3-12 x56 HT with ASV.

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1809 Baker British .61 cal flinter (Sharpe's rifle), 18 paces, clik, hiss, boom, flop.

1885 Browing WY Cent. 25-06, 80 gr TTSX @ 3997 fps, 230 yards trotting away on a 45, bang, flop.

In

and Out

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IowaDon,

Nice shootin. Looks like your buck landed on a notill soybean field. We've got plenty of those in NW Iowa too. What kind of shotgun were you using?

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I put together 2 barrels for my new T/C Prohunter traded the 7mm mag barrel for a 30-06 Prohunter barrel and bought a 375H&H Prohunter barrel.

I had both 28" barrels shortened to 22" the day I got the barrels back Nov 1/12 I popped a scope onto the 30-06 barrel raced to the gun club to sight it in my son met me minutes after I left the club and we headed up into the hills 40 minutes later my son shot this coastal blacktail buck.

On Dec 2 the day before my son's bifthday I talked him into coming out with me again I handed him the Prohunter with the 30-06 barrel installed.

Appr 1 1/2 hours after heading into the bush I rattled/grunted in this blacktail buck the 30-06 worked again = I have a very happy son.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SIMANGUS - It's a TCR-87 with a custom 20-ga fully rifled barrel and Leupold 1.5-4 scope. The ammo was a Hornaday SST sabot slug and the range was 167 yards (by laser range-finder). The slug went through both lungs. The deer started out in a picked corn field and ran around 150 to 200 yards to the spot where it died in the soybean field. It did not really look old except for the grey on it's face, and the rack is nothing special (for an Iowa deer), but its teeth indicated it to be 6-1/2 years or older. I was going to toss out the rack, but after finding out it was an old buck, had a taxidermist repair the broken point and I will put it on a plaque. - DON

one of us
posted Hide Post
GunCat

How did you end up with a Ruger No. 1 in 38/55 caliber ? Rebarrel ? What kind of loads are you shooting in it ? Accuracy ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
GunCat

How did you end up with a Ruger No. 1 in 38/55 caliber ? Rebarrel ? What kind of loads are you shooting in it ? Accuracy ?

Ruger made a run of the No. 1 in .38-55 back around 1989. As the story goes there were either 400 or 289 of the guns produced for an east coast sporting goods chain.

In this particular gun I am shooting a hand load using the Barnes .377 255 grain FP and IMR3031. Accuracy (keep in mind I just worked up a quick "good enough" hunting load) is currently about 2" at 100 yds.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
All Wild in this web site is shot wit one single shot Rifle, Swiss law. One is from Savage firearms in 10,3x60r and the Ruger n.1 is in .416 rem mag, monlitic bullet in chopper and making wit CNC.

Season 2011

Member in Shooting Game "Tiro distretto Moesa" www.tirodicaccia.com and webmaster from www.scgroven.jimdo.com Smiler webmaster Hunting website www.mesolcina-caccia.com and fly fishing website www.mesolcinapam.jimdo.com on FB find Al Venza.

Posts: 339 | Location: Switzerland, Lostallo GR | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my Zebra with a Wickliffe in 45-120 with a 520gr lead bullet in May. He did not complain about my use of such a low tech approach...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stories and great pictures.

I have done a fair amount of hunting with a single shot.
I have killed several deer and turkey with a Ruger No1 in 243 and one in 45/70. he wife killed several deer, turkey and antelope with the 243 as well.

I have killed antelope with a Contender handgun, single shot in 30 Herrett, and several prairie dogs with the Contender in 22 K Hornet.

Also with my Blaser K 95 Stutzen in 308 WCF, I have killed tuurkey, deer, wild pigs, and black bear.

One time, with a single shot black powder 50 cal rifle, I killed 2 pigs and a deer, in less than an hour...

However this last deer season, I killed 3 deer, 4 wild pigs a turkey, a bobcat, and 3 coyotes, with an AR15 in 458 SOCOM. I only fired one shot at each animal, doesn't that count for something??? Confused Big Grin

Truth is, I have never found a single shot to be any sort of handicap for my style of hunting.

BUT I do find it to be a stimmulant. I will admit,than when I hunt with a single shot, I have a little bit of a different mind set.

I have a feeling of a need, to make more of a perfect shot, than I normally feel, just like I do when I hunt big game with a handgun.

That is the best way I can describe it. I like the feel of hunting with a single shot, or a handgun, or a double rifle.

And the truth is those feelings have always carried over to the times I hunt with a bolt rifle or even a semiauto.

And this has carried over to those times I hunt with a Bow.

It is all about the Perfect Shot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe that it has been almost two years since I started this thread.

I finally got my Merkel K1 Jagd Stutzen around June of last year (2012). It is chambered for the 7mm-08.

Drew first blood on a New Mexico black bear hunt in August.

Shot a number of porkers last fall and early this year.

a double

I make the observation that I’m just one rifle away from being satisfied so, almost immediately I began my quest for another barrel.

I tried for months to get a 9.3 x 74R barrel and fore-end for the Jagd Stutzen to no avail.

A friend saw this while I was out of touch at my lease and snagged it for me.

Merkel K1 Stalking rifle, 9.3 x 74R. Can’t hardly wait to poke a couple hill country hoglets with some 286 gr. partitions.

Needless to say, I’m jazzed about these two shooters.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful guns GWB, and congrats on the success you've had with them. I shot and sold a lot of K-1's and K-3's over the years. Never seen one that wasn't a ringer for accuracy. They are an ideal stalking rifle with their light weight and exceptional balance.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a muskrat with a 17 HMR Contender a few days ago. No trophy pics though.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Very interesting scope bell mount Skb.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote