THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had to go back two pages before I found Bobby's contender and a nice grey fox. Wondering if anyone else hunts with their single shots.
GWB

Cooper model 21, 20 Tactical,

Winchester High Wall, 270 WSM

Remington 700, 7 STW (yes its a singleshot)

Browning High Wall, 30-06

Cooper model 38, 22 hornet

Cooper model 22, 6.5 x 284

Remington 700, 22-250

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
My humble Rossi R357S in 357 magnum barrel cut to 16.25" very handy and under 4 pounds.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taken in his bed with a H&H .30 Super flanged

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed hogs with my Ruger #1 45-70 very effectively.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always (except for the AR and PDs)

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I acquired my first No.1 30+ years ago, I have almost exclusively used a single shot (Blactail,Mule Deer, Whitetail, Roosevelt & Rocky Mtn. Elk,Bison and Black Bear). It has made me a much better hunter and my hunts more satisfying.

Unfortunately, for my Namibian hunt last year I needed to use a borrowed bolt action. My dream is to return for Cape Buff with my recently acquired No.1 in .450/.400.NE.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of pics for you. First one is a #1 in .30 Gibbs (an '06 rechamber) and that is a rare color phase blacktail.

Contender in .30-30 with a 130 gr TSX deer

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted exclusively with single shots for over 35 years. My rifle of choice is the 1874 Sharps equipped with the standard Sharps buckhorn iron sights and a blade front. The Sharps has gone to Africa with me three times and has proven to be unfailingly reliable and accurate both over there and here in North America. I frankly will not hunt with any rifle other than a Sharps.

I would gladly post pictures, but I am on dial up and that makes it an impossibility.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
Here is buck and a bobcat taken with an Encore in 25-35 Winchester. I am a lefty and grew up on Right handed bolts but I can't cant run a LH bolt so I have taken the singleshot path.

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Single Shots - you betcha, Blaser K95 Luxus Stutzen in 7x57R, Roe Buck taken in Czech Republic.

Ruger #1B, custom Fajen stock, .270 Winchester.

Like eskimo36; I'm a Leftie, too - life's too short to get wrapped around the axle with right-handed rifles; got some bolts, too but all L/H.

Oh, Geedubya ....

Did I mention the K95 packs & travels well, too! I call it my "Pimp Gun" because it fits in a Pool Cue case.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the last 8 years everything that I have hunted has been with Hall F action in 308 Palma(long chambered 308) I have shot a total of 17 deer and still have two shots left for this year(shot one deer twice he was dead but didn't fall fast enough) would post gun photos but can not get system to work. For my small game I use a Winchester low wall in 22lr with iron sights. Makes hunting fun again.

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted with a single shot for the last 5 years. I use a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 or 50-70, or a Merkel K3 in 30-06.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I mention the K95 packs & travels well, too! I call it my "Pimp Gun" because it fits in a Pool Cue case.

The Merkel K3 Jagd Stutzen is number one on my lust-o-meter. It may take a while, but I'll have one.

Just got to find the right deal.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Merkel K3 Jagd Stutzen is number one on my lust-o-meter. It may take a while, but I'll have one.

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used nothing but a 22LR for squirrels since 1970 and used nothing but this low wall since 1999.

I'd 10-times-rather make a 70-yd head shot on a squirrel than kill any number of deer. Of course we have so many deer here nowadays that they've become little more than a dangerous nuisance.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son has for years. I've started doing more hunting with single shot rifles in the last few years. A few pics of my son.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Mighty fine guys!

Very much enjoy seeing your pix, your game, your guns and the different country.

Best
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with an NEF handi rifle on occasion. I have barrels for mine in .22 Hornet, .243 Win, and .45-70. I'm not a big fan of rimless cartridges in a break open gun like the Handi, so I'm probably going to trade the .243 off for a .30-30 some time.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
I occasionally use a single shot of one type or the other (These are all western Kentucky Whitetail)

Hi Wall (Italian Repro) - .45-70 Govt.

A 1760 era Jaeger rifle that I built - .58 caliber

2nd Model Brown Bess Musket - .75 caliber

Ruger #1 - .270 Winchester

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TCR-87 with rifled 20-ga barrel & deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to rifle is a Martini Enfield, 26" Ackley barrel in 30/40AI, crotch cut walnut for wood. Gives me dime size groups @100yds if I do my part using 180RN Hornady pushed by 49gr of 4831 @ 2200. Wish I knew how to post a pic. Currently working on a Cadet Martini, 24" tube in .357Max with Parker-Hale target sights. Can't report on the accuracy yet tho it looks promising. Also have Handi Rifles in .223, 7x57, and .35 Whelen yet to work with. Don't have to worry about things to do in retirement. Goatwhiskers the Elder

The possibilities for disaster boggle the mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD, you need to adopt me so I can get my hands on one of those .22 low walls DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Shot two of these little pigs about a week ago using the Holland & Holland in .300H&H. What's the use in having a single shot if you don't hunt with it?

GunCat - Nice Brown Bess

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the use in having a single shot if you don't hunt with it?

+1

and what a magnificent single that one is..thanks for sharing.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love my Ruger #1 in .45-70 Improved. It's my favorite hunting rifle. You can see it here:

www.bigbores.ca

Bob

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great thread.

MT 2009 with my daughter and my K95 in 270 win. Yeah I know. Camo and blaze orange is kind of a lame combination.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, quite a lot with a Blaser K95 and a B95 (does an over/under combination count as a single shot, too? After all, it has only one rifled barrel...)

A #1 sitting in my safe is waiting to be rebored to 8.5x63 R Reb. Then, it will breath fresh air more frequently. There is a firm here in Jena which apparently does the reboring quite well for around 400 €.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A #1 sitting in my safe is waiting to be rebored to 8.5x63 R Reb. Then, it will breath fresh air more frequently. There is a firm here in Jena which apparently does the reboring quite well for around 400 €.

Dirk,

Just do it!

I shot a fellow's K95 Stutzen in Heidelberg who had it rebored by (probably) the same gunsmith from Jena to 8.5x63R Reb. Very Nice! I expected to get whalloped but to my astonishment there was minimal recoil in such a light rifle.

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a K95 with a factory rifle barrel in this caliber. He says it kicks less than the other barrel in 30/06 he has for this rifle. Needless to say (it's a K95!) that it shoots very well.

The Jena gunsmith's name is Fuhrmann and has been recommended from different sides. He said that they have made good experiences with reboring rifles to this caliber.

My idea is to have the #1 rebored to the rimmed version leaving the extractor claw in place. Thus, I'd be able to shoot both the rimmed and the rimless version of the Werner Reb round.

No, I don't really need this option but I think it sounds nice to have, doesn't it?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yes. I especially enjoy stalking red stags with my Gibbs-Farquharson.

To my mind, that's what this rifle was made for, and I'm only helping it along until the next man in its life takes it farther up the hill.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Poole
posted Hide Post

#1A in .270

Small Arizona North Kaibab Muley in 2008

Poole

-
Bill Poole
Scottsdale, AZ
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/

Posts: 50 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 08 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I'm into T/C Contender carbines have 3 stainless steel Gen 1 frames and 1 stainless steel G2 frame and 10 barrels here are a couple of pics of some of the game they have taken.

3X3 coastal blacktail buck 22" T/C Custom Shop barrel in 45-70 loaded with 325gr FTX @ 1850fps shot was 35 yards.

coyote 21" factory tapered s/s 223 loaded with 40gr V-Max spotted this little fellow @ 600 yards blew my Ki-Yi call a few time then watched the show shot was 40 yards.

My guy when he was 3 1/2 16.5" 22LR loaded with CCI SGB's

I shot a 6' + black bear I do not have a pic but I used this combo 375JDJ 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps.

Got this little guy with my 21" s/s was a 30-30 rechambered to 308Bellm = 444 Marlin brass necked down with 308 Win dies = 150gr @ 2620fps.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
In June I hunted in the Save Conservancy of Zimbabwe (hunt report posted in 2 parts in the African hunt reports section of this site) and shot all of my animals with a Searcy stalking rifle in 9.3x74R. It accounted for 2 warthogs, 2 kudu, an impala, an eland, a wildebeest, and a zebra. Here is a photo of my first warthog with my rifle and PH Mike Payne of Save Safaris.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I entered the SS hunting[other than ML] a little over the top. My son and I went to Zimbabwe, back in August, on a DG hunt. We both used Ruger no. 1s in 375 H&H mag. Here are the results.

my son's hippo.

his cow cape buff.

I'll be deer hunting with a little CVA scout SS this deer season.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Not as glamourous as some shown - but just as effective

Self and small son with Rossi Pomba 223

Two bigger boys with Rossi 243 and suppressor

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a TC Prohunter for several years now and I think its cursed.
I've loaned this gun out dozens of times and who ever holds it, never sees anything. No game animals at all.
Well, at least it isn't just me....lol

All it does is punch paper and kill tin cans.

Cheers, John
I think its a PETA gun.

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Some great stuff here, especially those Gibbs Farkies!
Subsailor, that's one hell of a warthog. Nice work with a lovely rifle in a great caliber.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
My son with his coastal blacktail from last Sunday morning he used a 21" factory tapered stainless steel T/C Contender carbine in 308Bellm = 308 Win X 444 + my hunting loads are 150gr Rem Core Lok @ 2620fps.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote