THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Lyman Model of 1878 45-70 (Pedersoli)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Model of 1878 45-70 (Pedersoli)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had a Ruger #1s in 45-70 for a couple of years now and have really enjoyed reloading and shooting the little Ruger. Most of my rifles are used for hunting but, after playing with the falling block single shot, I knew that a Sharps would be next on my list to add to my meager collection. It will be devoted to target work using 405 grain (or heavier) hard cast bullets loaded to higher trapdoor velocity and pressures. I can't wait to start reloading for the new rifle. It is a retirement gift from the wife and should be delivered in the next few days.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggs, if you enjoyed the Ruger you'll probably love the Sharps. If you're considering longer range target work I believe you will evolve to the heavier bullet rather quickly. Which one did you order?

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharps4590, I ordered a Lyman 1878 (Pedersoli 1877 Creedmoor Sharps reproduction). I have shot my brother's Italian made 1874 Uberti and, it was both accurate and enjoyable to shoot. One day I hope to invest in a Shiloh or C. Sharps but hopefully the Pedersoli will do for now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an early one, and it can be interesting trying to get a really light trigger on one.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter, if you are speaking of the Ruger #1 trigger, I agree; it is definitely not my favorite trigger. The (Pedersoli) Lyman 1878 has a double set trigger (unlike the original Sharps 1877). The front trigger breaks heavy but, using the set trigger it breaks at under 2 lbs from the factory. I can adjust it even lighter but don't think it is necessary.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I just sold an original Sharps and am thinking that some of the money should go to one of those Lyman 1878s.
I think they are the best looking of the Sharps family of rifles and are very accurate from what I have read and viewed on youtube.
Please give us an update when you get it.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Irving BA Wallace
posted Hide Post
You will enjoy your Pedersoli. I love any range session with mine!

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice collection there Irving!!!! Mine are all Shiloh's but Irving, I can't believe it would matter. They are simply a HUGE amount fun, if fed properly ordinarily exceedingly accurate and my 45-90 has been the most effective hunting rifle I've owned. My 40-70 is one of the most accurate rifles I have owned.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharps4590:
Nice collection there Irving!!!! Mine are all Shiloh's but Irving, I can't believe it would matter. They are simply a HUGE amount fun, if fed properly ordinarily exceedingly accurate and my 45-90 has been the most effective hunting rifle I've owned. My 40-70 is one of the most accurate rifles I have owned.

I don´t konw it for Australia, but here in Germany, the Shiloh and C.Sharps rifles are very expensive and very rare. Prices without tang sights will be about 4000 Euro and the deliverytime is about 5 years and longer. The standard Pedersoli, vou get for 1200Euro.
I´m a big Sharps fan, since I was a young boy. With 16 years, my dream was a Shiloh, chambered for the .45-110.
Now, I bought my .45-70 Pedersoli befor 10 years, I´m a little bit sad, that Pedersoli never build a Sharps for a .40-70 straight or bottlenecked. I mean, this would be the perfect mid-range "old-days" Sharps rifle. Wink

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Shiloh in I believe 1986 and gave $830.00 for it which was a huge sum to me at that time for a rifle. I don't know how that translates to the Euro or Australian currency. It took 11 months to get it back then. I shot that rifle for 13 years and sold it at the peak of the "Quigley" boom, and I won't say for how much. The two I have now were considerably more expensive and the wait was...I think 5 years + for my #1 Sporter in 40-70. Less than half that for my Montana Rough Rider in 45-90. I doubt I will buy another, two satisfy me.

Big Bore, I couldn't agree more about the 40-70. I believe that is one fine cartridge....but so many are. Mine is the straight case and I have no experience with the bottleneck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irving, you have a really nice collection for sure. I bet you have a hard time deciding which one or two to take to the range.

Picture of Irving BA Wallace
posted Hide Post
I also show them at gunshows, attracts a lot of interest!

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 December 2011Reply With Quote