New
Find
Notify
Tools

New .303 ss rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A rather neat, old rifle came to me just before Christmas, it is a Martini actioned, same size as those old BSA .22s. ful ribbed barrel, nice, tiny engraving, full solid rib on barrel,nice wooden PG stock, black tip on forestock and adjustable sights.

Nitro proofs and lovely engraving of "Army and Navy Cooperative on barrel rib. NO indication of actual chambering anywhere on piece, but, A-Zoom snap caps and current Remmy .303B. rounds chamber and extract perfectly.

Any ideas as to age, maker, value (it is in very nice condition with great bore and seems ready to shoot game no problem.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....I wouldn't like to fire a 303 out of a Martini Cadet......you'd probably only do it once cuckoo

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can’t imagine that a 303 would feed into a cadet. Maybe the action is a little larger than you think.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had a Martini several years ago in 303 that had been converted from the 450/ 500 round when the brits changed over. Straight stock W/ splinter forend carbine. The barrel was washed; nice grouping but they all keyholed. Most likely what you have. If it shoots well you're in luck as the demise of most were the use of corrosives in the loading.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As an addendum; what I did with mine was to rebarrel in 25 Krag A.I. (in Aus. the 25-303 is popular)[at that time you could not get dies here] Damn near the same design + the 303 + Krag have the same rim base diameter thus no changing in the bolt face.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote