THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Need help with Scholefield single

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with Scholefield single
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently found a unique vintage gun at auction. A falling block Scholefield "Field's Patent" with side-lever. Chambered in 450 3 1/4"
All of my internet research for Scholefield shows lots of pistol information, but I am unable to find a single bit of information on any rifles made by this company.
Any help?

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6370 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Two very different people. George Wheeler Schofield was a US military man who served in the civil war and on into the western cavalry actions post-war. He designed the latch on the S&W "Schofield" revolver in the 1870's.

In England, a fellow named Scholefield was evidently one of the organisers in 1867 of the Abington Works gun manufacturing cooperative, which, amongst other things, became the primary producers of the Field Patent single shot action. Many British gunmakers used the Field Patent action: Holland and Holland offered them as did others; I have a documented Purdey Field Patent rifle for instance, and you have found one marked Scholefield, nice!

Field's actual patent dates to 1877, rifles built on that action were made into the 1900's.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Westley Richard's used the action as well as W.W. Greener. I've never heard of an actual Scholefield made rifle.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12504 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It turns out that I should not have been so focused on the "Scholefield" maker, as the "Field's Patent" part of the equation. Once I started googling up the action type, it turns out there were multiple makers that used that particular action, Scholefield being definitely one of the rarer ones.
I have since found articles with many makers such as Greener, Hollis, and Holland Holland. The Hollands all seemed to have had an ugly side-strap attached to the stock, not sure if this is an idication that the stock design fitted to the action was prone to breaking? Mine has a few hairling cracks on the inside of the stock where it fits to the action.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Pictures! Pleeeeaase!

I don't know if the design is prone to breakage but I have seen a few with cracks in the wrist - my 500 No.2 included.
Many makers did use the action but by no means does that make them common, at least when compared to their American contemporaries.
There are two Scholefield rifles listed in Kirton's book - patent use #L2266 Scholefield number 9323 and patent use #2565 that doesn't mention the Scholefield serial number.
Both are 450 3-1/4" bpe rifles.
They are very simple, robust rifles - I love 'em!

Here's mine. Old workhorse but really shoots!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Pictures are always good! The one in my care now is chambered in 500/450 No.1 Black Powder Express 2-3/4". The barrel is full of pristine Henry's rifling. Smiler

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics guys! Those are some great looking old warriors there.
Mine does not have any engraving other than the name and patent info.
BPE, that is the final goal I envision for my old gun; new wood, and touch up the metal, but should a guy go with bluing, or send it off for case-color hardening?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all the pics, and being pointed in the right direction, I finally got the scholefield all together and shooting!
Just touched up the appearance a bit for now, as I want to see how the gun shoots, and if it is something I will hang on to. So far, I love it!
The "field's Patent" action is a sweetheart to work with, and I have always liked the 450 caliber.
The only issue now, is that with my double rifle, I was using 325 gr. P/P cast bullets, and they regulated well for my gun.
With this single, the same loads shoot about 10" high at 200 yards, even using the 100 yard buckhorn.
Does anyone have a recommendation on a load using 400 gr. cast? I have a bunch of these left over from my 45-120 days.