posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
So do I. More poop than a .45-70 with jacketed, and what a joy it would be with cast boolits.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes has tested the #1 all the way up to 55000 PSI with 45-70 loads.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, and here where I live that would be a very nice chambering too!

Posts: 456 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Lovely. All aspects. Now go a-walkin sir.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two rifles in this caliber; a takedown Browning BLR and a left hand Winchester M70 WSM action rebarreled with a 20” Lilja stainless barrel. The bolt gun is more familiar to me. The M70 came with a pile of factory ammo, plus reloading components. Mostly I shoot factory 325s in these guns but I have bullets up to 430 grains.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Nice, I keep looking at these thinking I need one.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4sixteen,

I can't get over your beautiful photography!

You DO live in Shangri-La.

Always look forward to your posts!

Posts: 2578 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a short action Winchester M70 originally a 300 WSM that someone barreled in 450 Marlin. It feeds extremely well and is accurate. I’m still shooting factory Hornady 350s but I have a stash of bullets including 400 grain cast. It’s light and compact with a 20” barrel and McMillan stock. I don’t thing Zi want to load it any hotter.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I have a short action Winchester M70 originally a 300 WSM that someone barreled in 450 Marlin.

Now that makes sense! A magazine rifle.
The 450 Marlin in a No.1 is silly to me when one can have a 458WM and load it to whatever level you could ever want. Or, have a No.1 in 45-70 which achieves the same thing as the Marlin in that rifle.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
So do I. More poop than a .45-70 with jacketed, and what a joy it would be with cast boolits.

The 450 Marlin has more poop than the 45-70 with SAAMI spec loads, and the 450 Marlin case is better suited to high pressure loads. However, 45-70 cases generally hold slightly more powder than 450M, especially WW brand cases. I figure if someone wants 4/5ths the power of a 458 Win in a single shot or bolt gun, they should just buy or rebarrel to 458 and just load it down. I like the 450M in levers and short action bolt guns. The New Haven Win Custom shop offered short action model 70’s in 450M. I wonder if they actually made any?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3275 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great rifle cartridge. But I enjoyed scenery photos even more! Thanks.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 45-70 has a water capacity of 72.5 gr. and the 450 Marlin has a water capacity of 73.5 gr.
They will both run the 325 gr. CEB Safari Solid at 2500fps in the No1.
Matching the 325 gr. CEB Safari Solid with the 295 gr. CEB Safari Raptor with tip/inserts and one would be "good to go" in any country for everything including DG.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
The 45-70 has a water capacity of 72.5 gr. and the 450 Marlin has a water capacity of 73.5 gr.
They will both run the 325 gr. CEB Safari Solid at 2500fps in the No1.
Matching the 325 gr. CEB Safari Solid with the 295 gr. CEB Safari Raptor with tip/inserts and one would be "good to go" in any country for everything including DG.

An old Handloader Magazine article by Brian Pierce gives contradictory info. However, one can’t argue with your info if it comes from first hand experience. I still suspect WW 45-70 brass has an insignificant capacity edge over Hornady 450M brass. My Starline and Rem 45-70 brass definitely holds a bit less than than my WW brass.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/450mtext.htm

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3275 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This article says WW 45-70 brass has 9% more capacity than Hornady 450 Marlin brass. Doesn’t matter though, as the 4 to 1 rule indicates that 9% will only give 2.25% (a trivial 50fps) more velocity.

https://www.ballisticstudies.c...ase/.450+Marlin.html

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, They are both nifty cartridges with comparable performance. I like single shot rifles and the Ruger #1 and the Encore make a handy little rifle . If one went further with the CEB product (and there are lots of other good bullets for both cartridges) the Raptor and Maximus bullets in the 250gr. to the 265 gr range look pretty interesting too. Probably good moose bullets.

Most of my life I have worshipped high velocity. In the last few years I have been hunting cape buffalo and now follow the bullet diameter and design gods and am not so preoccupied by velocity. A well designed 45 to 50 cal bullet at moderate velocity really kills big animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
A well designed 45 to 50 cal bullet at moderate velocity really kills big animals.

Agreed. Back in the late 90s, A friend of mine rebarreled a Ruger 77MKII to 458X2” American, which was the forerunner and inspiration for the 450 Marlin. He ran the old Remington 400gr hollowpoints at about 1600fps. It is a hammer.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thank for the great picture show!

My head spins a bit with all the load details, but you always seem to have the facts and good performance.

This did remind me of our 2600 fps 300 grain 45-90 loads for our African bullet testing outing. I was not able to go, but provided 1886 45-90, Nosler 300 grain bullets, NF 450 grain bullets, some powder, etc.

During preparation testing our Nosler PP velocity was 2600 fps and 450 grain Kodiak velocity 2150 fps. Had to reduce Nosler PP MV to 2200 fps for best performance on thin skinned game and those were devastating. The Kodiaks shot through Cape Buffs easily, but on ele, the NF and Punch were best always shooting through head and into body- DRT.

We did not compare velocity with .458 Win Mag, but were certainly up into that performance range. With appropriate bullets, the big bore lever gun can take any game on the planet.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In your BLR you might be able to use WSM magazines, which should give you a longer LOA.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Really a great caliber. I use the TSX and FTX in a BLR and a Marlin. Even loaded stout the brass just lasts and lasts!

450 Marlin is one of my favorite rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the Ruger #1 is incredibly strong, and stronger than bolt actions...A friend of mine tore cases up in one in a test, and the action held without injury!! Ive loaded several to what I believe to be 65,000 PSI or more!! working up loads to just see where max lead me, got scared and backed off to about 55,000 for hunting loads, cases lasted 10 reloads just fine, but I tossed them and bought new ones. that was my 338 Win. and a 30-06..Its an amazing action..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I do not agree that a downloaded 458 would have been a better choice: two reasons why not:
1: #1 458 barrels are absolute hogs and not for quick handling.
2: #1 458 chambers have a one inch long throat which won't shoot light bullets well.
As for the choice between the Marlin or the 45-70; they are equal with high pressure loads. I have loaded 45-70s to over 55K psi many times. This is one place where the 458 might excel; less recoil. Still a hog of a barrel.

Posts: 17040 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote