THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    #1 9,3x74R Draws Blood, Needs Name

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

#1 9,3x74R Draws Blood, Needs Name
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted
The two earlier threads on this rifle went through the delivery tribulations and an initial range report; last week it went to Texas to get blooded.

This thing kicks ass like a cross-eyed Rockette!

Ryan Campbell, who posts here on AR, set us up with some great folks near Brownwood, Texas who needed some pesky deer removed from their property.

The second evening there I caught up with this 10-pointer just at dark. He was facing right, broadside, 68 yards. Bullet went in the right shoulder and out the left. Deer dropped right there and never twiched:

The next morning we tried rattling and brought in about 6 does, tagged this one at about 80 yards as she was trotting to the right. The shot went a little forward, taking out the bottom half of her spine where it joins the shoulder.

That evening at dark, this 8-pointer came straight in to about 30 yards; the shot was at an upward angle as he was facing me. The bullet went in his upper brisket and out the back of his neck:

Here's a typical exit hole from the 286 Noslers:

Three shots, three deer. None moved at all after being shot. The doe did twitch about twice. No bullets were recovered; all were through-and-through.

Yes, it does a number on the meat, and yes, it's clearly more gun than needed for deer-sized game. But it absolutely drops them in place, right now, like the hammer of a pissed-off Thor. No trailing, no finishing shots, certainly no lost game. I was going to try to shoot the head off a turkey, but the right opportunity didn't present. The short barrel is incredibly handy in box blinds, and the heavy barrel is superb for offhand and moving-game shots.

It's absolutely a keeper, and needs a suitable (endearing) name.

Suggestions?

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Tsk!Tsk! When are we gonna teach y'all to count? Did you move to Lost Wages from somewhere in the decadent East? Out West, that is a 4-pointer...only points off one main beam count, NOT including the eye guard.

Actually, don't get riled, just teasin' ya a skosh. A very nice deer, and am glad the rifle does such a good job for you and handles so well. Have one on order myself, but local dealer hasn't been able to find one yet.

BTW, why don't you just call the rifle "10-pointer"? Seems right fittin'.....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a good buck and that picture doesn't do him justice. Congratulations.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I know Ryan, I don't do good photography in the dark.

I'm thinking of FAT LADY for a name, because 1) she's fat, and 2) when she sings, it's over.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

Posts: 1562 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
AC- no offense taken. It's Lost Wages, by way of 23 years in Tennessee.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's absolutely a keeper, and needs a suitable (endearing) name. Suggestions?
"The Hammer"

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck, no offense, but he did shoot those deer in Texas, and on Whitetails, we do not use the western count. In Texas, anything a person can hang their wedding ring on, is a point.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything off of the mainbeam, including brow tines, is a point. "kickers" coming off of other points do not count on a typical rack.
LRH, how about Thor's Fat Lady?
I'd like to see that round on a hog.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Alberta Canuck, no offense, but he did shoot those deer in Texas, and on Whitetails, we do not use the western count. In Texas, anything a person can hang their wedding ring on, is a point.

Actually I knew that suh. I was just ribbin' him a bit....my way of being friendly. Of course, you realize that most of Texas isn't really in the "West" either, though west of the Pecos is. In states from New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc., on further west, the count has long been as I described it above, and does NOT include eye-guards.

But of course, I'm just funnin' y'all a bit too..., so don't take it too seriously...I sure don't. Different strokes for different folks. Either way it is a very nice deer, 'pecially for a Texas whitetail deer which, no offense of any sort intended, are usually somewhat smaller than some of the far northern and northeastern whitetails.

And was glad to hear his positive report on the 9.3 Ruger, and even more, the pictures of the rifle.

Didn't realize the barrel was that heavy from looking at the other pics I had seen. Wonder what it actually weighs, scope included?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
9.0 pounds, all up.

Makes it recoil about like a .243.

Did I mention I REALLY like it?

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can name it after me....
I was born in Brownwood.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Stubbystix

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Thor's hammer was named "Mjolnir" if I remember correctly. But it seems Ruger named it for you already, I know that when I want to absitively posolutely bring home the venison I go get "Numba 1" out of the gun cabinet. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
In the vain of fat ladys singing.

Here are some names of operatic sopranos.
You may find a suitable name here.

http://www.operastuff.com/Opera_Singers/Sopranos/index.html

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I liked "10-pointer"was the double entendre...not only refers to the first good buck it got, but also a bit to its accuracy...10 points as per 10-ring of a target.

Still, can envision all kinds of neat conversations using the name "Fat Lady"...

"Guess I'm gonna grab the fat lady and head out into the woods for a few days...."

"What, you caLL YOUR WIFE THAT?!"

"Oh no, she'd kill me! I just have this bit on the side that I like to take when I'm going hunting. Keeps me well fed and gives me a kind of permanent glow...."

Etc., etc.

In that case, just plain "Fat Lady" might even
do even better over time than a specific name.

A fun decision to have to make, however you decide.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
at least the deer went out with a bang animal

and went out in style thumb

as for a name...

i think that round is german, correct?

if so...how about a german name?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Brunhilda!!!

Brunhilda (circa 543 – 613) was a Frankish queen who ruled the eastern kingdoms of Austrasia and Burgundy. She is usually depicted as a large German lady singing Wagnerian opera. She also was reputed to be very adept at ending the lives of those who opposed her.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brunhilda (circa 543 – 613) was a Frankish queen who ruled the eastern kingdoms of Austrasia and Burgundy. She is usually depicted as a large German lady singing Wagnerian opera.
Is she the one with the brass bustier?

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
THUNDER!

Nordresta, the answer is yes, and now madonna wears it. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just call it KILLER and be done with it

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd call it "Rommel", a feared German for sure. I may name mine that when I get it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice freeking rifle.
What kind of velocity can you get with hand loads.
My manuals all show prety tame low preasure loads but in a #1 i,ll bet you can get say a 250 accubond to squirt out of that tube prety speedy ?
...trj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Haven't chono'd it and I'm not realy interested in seeing how far it can be pushed; the original concept was to have ammo interchangeability with a couple of Chapuis doubles in the same caliber.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I'd keep it KISS, short/sweet like the rifle:

"THOR"

sounds like game better watch when you take 'Thor' out!

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote