New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 450-400 3"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got an unfired Ruger #1 450-400 in my gunsafe. What's your opinion on what to do with it?
Keep it; value will go up
Sell it now and buy a .375 bolt gun
Go shoot some large animals with it
or ????

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I don't see the value going up much? Cabelas just sold a boatload of them for about $200 off. If it was a Boddington Model that would be different. Shoot it, they are great fun.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Keep it and shoot it! I have one, and I love it. It is a real tack driver.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go shoot some large animals with it

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Not just great for shooting large animals, the 75% rule works in singles as well or better than it works in doubles.
That means that a 450/400 is quite at home shooting 300gr bullets at longer range as it is with 400s for the scary stuff.
Or... you could even load up some black powder loads which are good fun.
The 400 is a very versatile round really and the No.1 is a capable and nigh indestructible rifle.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great cal and in a #1 you can get 400's to 2300fps. I say restock in a nice english walnut and go shoot big nasty kritters!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it.

Don’t waste money on a double in 450-400 or on shooting big stuff with it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions guys. Guess it's time to head to the range.

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For practice loads I use 400 gr cast bullet with Trailboss. Velocity is about 1600 fps. Recoil is about like a 243 Winchester.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Keep it and shoot it, maybe take it hunting for something big. Besides full loads, it also does well with reduced loads and 210 gr. 41 mag pistol bullets. Lots of fun there and inexpensive to shoot. I hope to take mine out for jackrabbits with that load someday.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the full house loads in the 450/400 but mostly I do the same as impala. Talk about a 1st class medium game thumper.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have one; it is one of the best #1 calibers. I did cheat and put a merc brake in the butt. That makes it kick like a 243. Disclaimer; I do not own, nor will I ever own, a 243, so I can only guess what they are like.
I shoot 410 grain lead bullets from my 40-65 out of it, and also 300 grain 405 bullets, so it is very versatile. You can also shoot 41 mag pistol bullets if you wanted to.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think about this for a second.

You will probably have an accurate 1.5-3 Moa gun on which you can mount a nice scope with good rings.

You can shoot it off the bench, sticks or off hand.

You can take it in a tree stand.

If you don’t like it you can probably sell it to me.

It’s alternative is a over priced double, that is barely oil barrel accurate at 100 yards, super expensive and you cannot really take it in a tree stand.

Your gun will hold value and shooting it you won’t lose much value. It will be a sub $2k with scope and rings that you will be able to easily sell.

It is a good (actually great) value for the caliber and the caliber is a nice one.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Years before Ruger offered these from the factory, I had the late barrel maker Chick Donnelly of Siskiyou Barrel Works put one of his barrels on a Ruger No. 1 in this caliber. I eventually sold this to a guy in Alaska, and as far as I know it is still doing very fine work up there on moose and bears.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks of all the info.

... now, I just have to figure out how to pay its way to Africa.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Cabelas in Grapevine tx had the Boddington and non-boddington model on the used rack for $699/ea. I thought about buying the Boddington and passed. Keep it and use it Cool

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These days, 699 is worth buying for the stock and action alone on a #1. Definitely a cartridge that has versatility, everything from gophers to elephants. It has been one of the more fun guns I own.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll go with the crowd and say "shoot it!"

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have one; it is one of the best #1 calibers. I did cheat and put a merc brake in the butt. That makes it kick like a 243. Disclaimer; I do not own, nor will I ever own, a 243, so I can only guess what they are like.
I shoot 410 grain lead bullets from my 40-65 out of it, and also 300 grain 405 bullets, so it is very versatile. You can also shoot 41 mag pistol bullets if you wanted to.

If you need a brake on a 450-400, then maybe a 243 is ideal for you. Big Grin (Just kidding)

I have three 243's, a light weight hunter for deer and antelope, a full blown 1,000 yard rifle for competition (and varmints) and a Savage 99.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Damn! dpcd I always thought you were a real gun savvy fellow! You are missing one of the best small rifle chamberings known to modern man!
I wish I had a very light S/S double rifle chambered for a rimmed version of the 243 Win!
............ sofa

...................................................................... old jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Keep it.

Don’t waste money on a double in 450-400 or on shooting big stuff with it.

Mike

Hmm. 450/400 is my favorite double caliber. I and own a slew of doubles in calibers from the 400/360 to 577.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would personally keep it and load it like a 400 Black powder express, but make up nitro for black loads, using 4198 under Dacron pillow fiber and 300 grain lead bullets. For me, that would keep it fun to shoot.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to nitro for black loads, but AA5744 works fine with 320gr & 400gr cast in it, no fillers. 320 does 2050 with no issues, and it's about like my 338WM was to shoot with 210gr loads. The 400 gets a bit more noticeable at the 1800+ range.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And if you want to cut shooting costs and recoil even more, try 48 gr of AA5744 and some 210 gr .41 pistol bullets. I have even killed several deer and pigs with that combo.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I have about 250 rounds through my Boddington Buffalo over the past 9 months.

Wonderful rifle to shoot. I did put a Pachmayer Decelerator on it and my practice load I mostly shoot is 400gr DGS or DGX with 78gr IMR 4831. Pretty much duplicates the Hornady factory round (+25 fps or so).

It is going to Zim next year as my "light" rifle.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oil barrel accuracy from a double rifle? Assuredly NOT my experience, even with my old German double in 11.15 X 60R from the late 1870's. My Reilley in 500 BPE is even more accurate and I have no qualms about taking either into the deer woods.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

It’s alternative is a over priced double, that is barely oil barrel accurate at 100 yards

Mike

WTF?

shocker

I SERIOUSLY disagree.

coffee

Mike, are you competing with Shootaway for the least credible forum contributor award?

BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
100 yards ...... Oil Drum? Really? - More like quart size oil can.
killpc

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote