Find
Notify
Tools

AYDT Schuetzen rifle 8.15X46R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
I was given this rifle and not much info. Can you help me out????

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post

As far as the actually rifle information. I can't help you.

If you could post a picture or 2 that would be nice. Smiler

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
PM me your e.mail. Does it look like this:

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fantastic Schuetzen rifles...

I am jealous already, and I have not even seen photos yet.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need Volume 1 of "Alte Scheibenwaffen". Yours appears to be a Haenel/Aydt but the story on that action and the rifles is a long one. Could be an "Original Haenel Aydt" or not. Fine cartridge. Easily equal to the old 32-40 in accuracy and from the same era.

Except for the cheekrest the rifle pictured could be mine.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I wish it was mine. I took pics for my gunsmith. Got a letter from Hummel on the German gun collectors ass. Made in 1925 Haenel.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I was given this rifle and not much info. Can you help me out????

Mike tu2

Formerly german target round, was discontinued by the .22lr in the mid-30´s. Loaded with BP and later with NC-propelant. It´s importend to slug the bore. The bore size can differ. The 8,15x46r was the popularest target round, but there were a few others, based at the 11,15x60R case. Huttendorfer made this cases for reloading in the late 19th and beginning 20th century. But mostly , there was no nomenclasure, case dimensions can differ.
Here a few shots with my dad rifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rjBAlQkcPc

Martin

PS: Here in munich, we have every year one competition shooting with the old schutzen rifles. It´s allways at the time, at the Oktoberfest.

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Fellas thank you for fall the support and info AR is always a great place for good info. The rifle is like the one in the photo a few differences. First off missing a front sight and rear sight. The steel is case hardened on the receiver and the butt end. The top of the rifle above the chamber says NITRO. Steel is immaculate but a few dinges on the stock and fore end.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick Hummel would know. No question about that. I wish mine was in 8.15 X 46R. I'd be shooting it now instead of waiting for dies.

Big Bore, enjoyed the video. Thanks!

Michael, there should be some proof marks beneath the forearm. Pictures of those could tell even more of the story.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't come round to this forum very often, but I can tell you about System Aydt rifles. The action design is from the 1890s, a swinging block type with an internal hammer, not striker fired. In strength, they are much like the Stevens 44, suitable for low powered lead bullet cartridges. They are fine rifles with cartridges like the 8.15x46R variants. Early ones may be found chambered for 9.5 x 47R or similar cartridges. Originally made by Haenel but later licensed to a number of small gunsmiths. The proof stamps on the bottom of the barrel will tell you the bore diameter and the date of proof. That date will precede the date when barrel was rifled and then when the action was barreled.

The really nice thing about Aydt rifles in 8.15x46R is that you can make cases from .30-30 WCF, .32 Win Special or .32-40. No need to mess about with turning down rims. The US case rims are OK. Depending on the rifle, maybe you don't need loading dies. Try a .32-40 case as is, then trim it back 1 or 2 mm at a time until it chambers. Then cut a .30-30 case back to the same length and try that. My Aydt works best with pistol primers, 14.0 grains of 4227, and 160 grain stop-ring bullets from Buffalo Arms. You need to hand or pan lube the bullets.

I just prime & decap with a couple of old Ideal tong tools. Nothing more.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I missed out on an Aydt in 8.15 X 46 some years ago, and have regretted it ever since. They just feel great from the offhand position.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sad thing about the sights; I have been told that the German shooting clubs members kept their rifles at the club armory. The sights were stored separately. When we won the war, many were liberated by GI's. They did not know about the sights.

I used to see them frequently at Schuetzen Matches. They shot rather well with a good man behind that hooked butt plate.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a little imagination, you can adapt a Lyman 17A to a plate that fits in the front sight mount. US-made copies of the old sights are available, more than one maker. All sell for about $300.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterman:
I don't come round to this forum very often, but I can tell you about System Aydt rifles. The action design is from the 1890s, a swinging block type with an internal hammer, not striker fired. In strength, they are much like the Stevens 44, suitable for low powered lead bullet cartridges. They are fine rifles with cartridges like the 8.15x46R variants. Early ones may be found chambered for 9.5 x 47R or similar cartridges. Originally made by Haenel but later licensed to a number of small gunsmiths. The proof stamps on the bottom of the barrel will tell you the bore diameter and the date of proof. That date will precede the date when barrel was rifled and then when the action was barreled.

The really nice thing about Aydt rifles in 8.15x46R is that you can make cases from .30-30 WCF, .32 Win Special or .32-40. No need to mess about with turning down rims. The US case rims are OK. Depending on the rifle, maybe you don't need loading dies. Try a .32-40 case as is, then trim it back 1 or 2 mm at a time until it chambers. Then cut a .30-30 case back to the same length and try that. My Aydt works best with pistol primers, 14.0 grains of 4227, and 160 grain stop-ring bullets from Buffalo Arms. You need to hand or pan lube the bullets.

I just prime & decap with a couple of old Ideal tong tools. Nothing more.

Listen to Waterman. When it comes to these rifles, he knows his stuff. Really knows his stuff.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can I find more information on this sport?And are there any one building these rifles?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a AYDT Schetuezen 8.15 x46. It has the double triggers and hook butt plate along with the target sight.

I have not used it much as I shot a Remington Hepburn 38-55 in the schuetzen matches.

It has a 31" barrel.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big will:
Where can I find more information on this sport?And are there any one building these rifles?

http://www.assra.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those guns always impressed me with their styling.
It would appear Huntington's may have some RWS brass for it,dies are available for it, Accurate moulds has some stop ring type moulds in their catalog, 32-182L or N, they are 180gr. There is lots of info on them in ASSRA and Cast Boolits websites, and a few others. You should probably cast the chamber and slug the bore on it to be sure of what you need to do with it. Then go have some fun with it.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do not need to have an AYDT rifle to participate in a Schuetzen match. The matches are (mostly) offhand and are limited to single shot rifles. Some clubs say "American made of a pre-1917 pattern. Other clubs say "pre-1917 pattern, but not limited to US-made". Some clubs say "any single shot", so bring your Ruger #1, etc.

Some club rules say "iron sights only". Others allow externally-adjusted scopes and others say "any sights".

The matches are limited to lead alloy bullets. Some rules say "cast", but swaged bullets are OK. BP is allowable, as are duplex loads, but almost everyone uses smokeless. They are 25 or 30 or 50 or 100 shot matches, normally shot at 200 yards. The long string of shots make light recoil desirable. That's why cartridges like the 32-40 or 8.15x46R are used.

There were thousands of old German single shots brought back from WW2, in dozens of patterns. The most common ones are Martini variants. AYDTs are in the less common category.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The German, Swiss & Austrian single shot Schuetzen rifles were made in dozens of very similar calibers. Just as in the US, calibers became smaller with time, from 11mm to 10mm, etc. The 8.15 (+/-) cartridges appeared about 1890, but were not standardized until about 1910. Just because the chamber takes a standard 8.15x46R case (a "Normal" case) does not mean that the standard case will work best. My AYDT works best with worked over .32 Winchester Special cases and does well with commercial stop-ring bullets. My Martini requires Normal cases, but real accuracy comes with Lyman 311403, breech seated. The rifles were made in small shops and nothing is standard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember, the old timers did not have dies or loading presses. They loaded cartridges on the kitchen table. Take out the old primer, put in a new one, put in a small scoop of powder and seat the bullet with your thumb. The stop-ring was made specifically for seating the bullet with your thumb. The base of the bullet went into the case, but the stop-ring contacted the case mouth, so you stopped pushing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing. The old Schuetzen rifles are not easy to shoot off the bench and because of that, load development and even sighting in can be frustrating. Mostly that is because of the extreme drop in the stock, but also the narrow forearm. Lots of sandbags help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my Aydt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My FLZ [ Fritz Langenhan Zella Mehlis ]apparently was made in good numbers .Falling block ,octagon barrel,22LR, mine is a sporting stock but others were made in Schuetzen style ,

http://www.invaluable.com/auct...is,-413-c-40d10d063e

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Some info on the 8,15x46R:
http://www.feuerbixler.de/
http://www.jagdwaffensammler.de/home.html

And the ultimative book on the cartridge:

ANDERHUB/KELLNER/TECHEL
Die Schützenpatrone 8,15 x 46 R und ihre Varianten
http://www.sammlermunition.de/allgemeines/
http://www.patronensammler.de/buchtipps.html