THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Cartridge for a classic large-action martini sporting rifle.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge for a classic large-action martini sporting rifle.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I just picked up a nice Enfield Mark II action that is destined for becoming a classic British-styled sporting rifle in the style of Hollis, etc. The rifle will be shot with traditional black powder or smokeless for black loads. I am trying to decide on caliber, and have a short list of the following, all of which I know will work.

577/.450 Martini Henry
500/450 No. 1 Express
500/450 No. 2 Musket
577/500 No. 2 Black Powder Express (.500 No. 2 Express)

I am also considering the 450/400 3-1/4 Black Powder Express, but have to play with a dummy to see if it will make the bend to chamber.

So what do you guys think?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3814 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I vote for Door No. 4 -- the .577/500 BPE No. 2. Plenty of barrels to choose from, brass easy to make and as much thump as one could want. And you'll be the only guy on your block that has one.

dancing

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the 450 will make the bend, as you so accurately describe, that would be my first choice. After that any of them would be a whale of a lot of fun.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The .450-400 3-1/4 BPE is my current first choice, mostly because I am already building a classic American-style sporting rifle in .50-70 on a rolling block. Also, I have two .408 bullet molds, and the availability of Hornady brass and dies makes the .450-400 3-1/4 BPE a more convenient option..

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3814 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I vote for Door No. 4 -- the .577/500 BPE No. 2. Plenty of barrels to choose from, brass easy to make and as much thump as one could want. And you'll be the only guy on your block that has one.

dancing

Better yet! Look behind door #5! Big Grin

The 577/500 Magnum! That was origionally a 6 dram load. The same as the old 577 BPE but with a 1/2" bore! I've got 2 of these and 1 #2 and I like the Mags. better.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, we need photos man!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Of the shells? Roll Eyes

The rifles are double barreled single shots.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Shells and rifles!

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ok some eye candy.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/u...s/Guns?sort=2&page=1

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Eye candy of the most splendid sort! Are you sure you aren't actually Cal Pappas?

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Oh, Heck NO!

I'm much better looking! rotflmo

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Just so you all know, Mike buys his rifles when WalMart has a sale on doubles.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I don't think the 450/400 3-1/4" will make the turn without really hogging out the block channel.
The 500No.2 is a good choice and was an original offering in the big Martini.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
For me, it would have to be the .577-.450 Martini-Henry.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Irving BA Wallace
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with the 577/450 is that we don't have barrels the correct size of .452/.464" so you need to have a special reamer ground to suit a barrel .450/.458". Then dies to suit etc.

When I built my sporter a few years ago I selected 577 Snider with a new Lothar/Walther barrel; no problems with feeding the action.

I use a load of 95gnd FFG with a 620gn custom bullet and it is very impressive!

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I had not thought about the .577 Snider, but it would be a good choice since I already have all of the stuff to reload for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote "Old School"; the 577 Snider.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Irving BA Wallace
posted Hide Post
620gn .590 bullet mould

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 December 2011Reply With Quote