New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sav model 219 Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I realize these rifles are not as strong as a falling block action and therefore were only loaded in lower pressure rounds such as the 30-30, 25-20, 32-20, 219 Zipper etc.Some even came with a shotgun barrel. Does anyone have experience with these guns? Are they reliable ? Many I've seen have cracks in the stock in the tang area so likely cheap wood and a poor job of fitting the stocks to the actions. Were the actions prone to any problems? Thanks for any comments you can share.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
They are nothing more than the 220 Savage shotgun with a rifle barrel. I have two of the 220s, a 12-gauge that my dad gave me when I was 11 years old and a .410 that my wife immediately stole as her garden gun. As a teenager, I killed hundreds of critters ranging from squirrels to turkeys with the 12-gauge, and probably have 1.000 rounds or so through it shooting clay targets and it is still tight. And yes, the cheeks of the stock are cracked. I would love to have one of the 219s. The later "D" models are supposedly better.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 220-12ga & 219-30/30 combo that was passed down from my grandfather. It has seen a lot of hard use on the farm over the years mostly with the 12ga barrel. Yes the stock shows cracks, shotgun forend loose and best held on with tape. I'm 62 and its been a rabbit killer as long as I can remember, couple deer too with buckshot. Shot the 30/30 once, went bang, never hunted. Simple cheap break barrel. Hammerless with a safety made it usefull as a hunter. I'll never sell it, a lot of family history goes with that gun.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 219 in 30/30, I got it at a gun show for next to nothing. Being shotgun based the trigger is heavy, when opening be sure to push the lever all the way over or it will not be cocked.
It is light and points well. It is my poor mans stalking rifle,

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cool little rifles. The Hornets seem to bring a little extra.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The early 219 had an inline striker system as opposed to an internal hammer; perhaps a little faster lock time. All of the internal parts on these actions are stamped. I have replaced them with machined parts on two rifles, modified the safety button and installed a steel trigger guard. Good little rifles and worth the effort.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new 219 22 hornet in 1960 when I was 18. I mounted a 6 power 3/4 inch diameter Weaver scope. Although it had a trigger pull like a door with rusty hinges, it shot well. I killed my first woodchuck with it. Unfortunately, a few years later, in the words of Jack O'Connor, "I sold it for money to take pretty girls dancing."

I wish I still had it. If I found one in close to new condition, I would buy it.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned a dozen of them over the years, used to buy them for $15 to $20

They are as strong as the win. 94 or marlin 336, take the same load data plus the advantage or pointed bullets..Ive shot a deer or two with on and an antelope or two as I recall..All mine were in 30-30..I recall they all had excellent trigger pulls and they all shot within 2 inches at 100..I scoped most of the ones I had with a Weaver 2.5X and cut the barrels on two of them to 20 inches and used them in my saddle scabbard daily, never knew they were there..I had a neat incident with one, when I was 12 years old, got me big trouble and still can't talk about it, might end up serving life in prison!! rotflmo

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote