THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Long 45 Colt load for Encore carbine

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long 45 Colt load for Encore carbine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I have a nice Encore cabine with a 20” MGM 45 Colt barrel. I got the barrel before Maryland decided to open up deer hunting with straight walled rifle and pistol cartridges, and now I want to use it next fall.
The loads I make up for my Blackhawk drop a lot at 100 yards, and are probably a bit slow to get to the 1200 ft-lbs requirement.
I checked, and the good folks at MGM have throated this one to accept 454 Casull length cartridges. You know where I am going. For deer hunting, I am thinking of loading long 45 Colt cartridges, off the lands with good margin, using the strong Starline brass I have.
I do have a concern. I have a good stash of H110, but this powder usually likes a good solid crimp. Loading long cartridges in 45 Colt cases will not allow firm roll crimping. Has anyone tried this technique with a hard starter like H110 and got good results? Should I be considering rifle primers and upper end loads like in the Casull? The Encore is rated for these pressure levels.
Thanks,
Rich in MD

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Erratic ignition with W296 at sub zero temperatures. Not sure how H110 does some sources say it's W296 equivalent. Instead got HSM Bear Load for my 45 Colt/410 H&R Survivor accuracy not too bad. Encore rated for this +P load not sure??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that 4sixteen. They sell Encore barrels in 454 Casull so I figure it is rated that high.
That is remarkable accuracy you are getting in that chamber that can take 410 shot shells! I have not gotten groups that small yet from this rig.
I have a small amount of 2400 and lil’gun that maybe I should throw in the testing.

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would check the chamber dimensions. If it's really a 454, I would load it as a 454 or even open it up to 460 S&W. How fast do you want it to go?

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike,
I double checked last night and it is a 45 Colt chamber. I have another MGM barrel which also has a really long throat so maybe this is their standard operating procedure unless you request a custom chamber. Both barrels are still really accurate.
I am just looking to get a little less drop at woods hunting range, and make the minimum energy requirement. I am going to be limited to pressure that the large pistol primer can take.
Thank you,
Rich

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I use H110 and Lil'Gun for top end loads in my MGM 45 Colt barrels and Lever action rifles with most of them being H110. I have been reloading the 45 Colt since 1978, I believe I started with Unique back then.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive loaded for my 45 colt and used it for hunting whitetail deer in Texas, the hill country smaller whitetail..Considering the brass I suggest you use the loading books max and get the extra velocity with the 20 inch barrel,not a hot load..The caliber itself kills by bullet mass, not velocity no matter how fast you push it within reason...BTW Starline is the best brass made by far in 45 LC and some others like the 38-40 and 44-40,for what its worth..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote