The Accurate Reloading Forums
My new .338 Single shot..

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/1141038552

16 December 2019, 04:18
Atkinson
My new .338 Single shot..
This one is as new and came out of an estate sale, a one owner gun supposedly unfired with papers..A Ruger 1-S in .338 Win. caliber, The 1-S has iron sights quarter rib, 26 inch barrel..I had one back in the late 1960s as I recall, and loved it, it shot an inch,hope this one does as well, if not I'll have it rebored to a whatever...maybe a 358 Norma..Been looking for one for a number of years when this one showed up I grabbed it...They must not have made too many back then in this caliber?? or folks that got them hung on to'um.. hilbily

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
16 December 2019, 05:03
Big Wonderful Wyoming
There are not tons of 338 Ruger #1s.

I have owned about 10 #1s. The best shooter was a 375 Stainless laminate.

The worst was a red pad 45-70.

I have had very few red pad models shoot.

Not sure what year they bought there Hammer Forge machines, but what a difference in barrel quality from black pad to red pad.
16 December 2019, 15:22
boom stick
338 Lapua?
Even if you miss, you might scare the animal to death. Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
17 December 2019, 01:12
Bill/Oregon
Ray, a friend had an early No. 1 in .338 and I happened to be at the range the day he broke its stock shooting it. First time I had seen a stock break.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
17 December 2019, 02:42
surefire7
Congrats Ray on your new No.1.

That 26" barrel ought to come in handy for both a little extra velocity, and perhaps more importantly, a little extra weight. The 1-S model helps with the weight/recoil as well (over a 1-A). No. 1s can be a bit on the light side for powerful rounds, but those factors should help.

Even my No.1 450 3 1/4" in the 1-H model, recoils much more than my 458 Lott in a bolt action, and it only weighs 8.5 lbs. I think the 450NE 1-H weighs 9 lbs. Probably stock design is a major factor as well...

Let us know how she shoots/handles.
17 December 2019, 07:12
loud-n-boomer
I had one and loved the gun, but am just not a .338 Winchester fan. It was a later red-pad gun, and took some fiddling and experimentation to get it to shoot decently. What I finally found was the secret was to remove just enough wood from where the forend touched the receiver that I could see a thin band of light between the back of the forend and the front of the receiver if the gun was held up to strong illumination. That took it from a three-MOA grouping rifle to a sub-MOA rifle with select handloads. Mine wouldn't shoot Barnes X bullets into a rain barrel, but loved the Hornady 225-grain Interbonds, which it shot into consistent 3/4-inch or less 100-yard three-shot groups, and was almost as accurate with the 210-grain partitions.

I was tempted to rebore it to .358 Norma, but if I go that route, I will simply rechamber one of the 24-inch barrel .35 Whelen 1-S sporters to the Norma, since I already have a reamer.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx
18 December 2019, 01:05
Atkinson
This gun was sold to me as a 1-B, but it was obviously a 1-s..I had one like it some years ago and I liked everything about it..The recoil was not that bad, and I like the iron sights, quarter rib, and that Hendry forend..I had the same in a 30-06. I have an aluminum V that works off the forend screw that's adjustable and it makes a Ruger shoot everytime so far..I have had full success with glass bedding the forend to the centerline of barrel, to connect the forend to the action with a thin line of glass, and a thin like of glass to complete the glass bedding in the butt stock connection...Worked on every #1 Ive played with so far..If it doesn't off to High plains for a rebore to a 358 Norma or 9.3x something or perhaps a LOthar walthar barrel in whatever..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

21 December 2019, 05:17
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I had one and loved the gun, but am just not a .338 Winchester fan.

How can you not love the .338 WM unless you are a .338 RUM or Edge fan?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

21 December 2019, 08:10
dpcd
Early on, Ruger used Wilson barrels. probably the worst made; some would shoot but some wouldn't. Quality control was terrible; like some of the other after market barrel makers, good ones are only produced by accident.
Once they started using their own hammer forged ones in 1990, they are pretty good.
22 December 2019, 03:28
Redstone
Ray, I have one just like your No.1S in .338 Win Mag. Mine is a 1998 manufacture.
Leupold M8 6x and a black 1” Decelerator in place of factory pad to get a better length of pull.
Great Elk rifle, and I prefer the 26” barrel, just seems to hang better.
You are right, just don’t run across the No.1S in .338.
- Mike
24 December 2019, 09:12
Atkinson
Since Ive been out of the single shot loopfor awhile, who makes some nice rings besides Ruger. Aa I recall the higher rings is the rear ring or are they both the same..I would like a set of QDs like a Talley if they make them..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

25 December 2019, 01:35
eny
on No 1s, rings are the same hight.
26 December 2019, 21:32
impala#03
Hi Ray,
Check out Alaska Arms scope rings, great QD rings.
30 December 2019, 19:18
packrattusnongratus
Ray I bought the Alaska Arms rings for that 308 Ruger International I acquired from you. They work nicely. Good luck with the new baby. Be Well, Packy.
01 January 2020, 11:13
taj shoemaker
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
This gun was sold to me as a 1-B, but it was obviously a 1-s..I had one like it some years ago and I liked everything about it..The recoil was not that bad, and I like the iron sights, quarter rib, and that Hendry forend..I had the same in a 30-06. I have an aluminum V that works off the forend screw that's adjustable and it makes a Ruger shoot everytime so far..I have had full success with glass bedding the forend to the centerline of barrel, to connect the forend to the action with a thin line of glass, and a thin like of glass to complete the glass bedding in the butt stock connection...Worked on every #1 Ive played with so far..If it doesn't off to High plains for a rebore to a 358 Norma or 9.3x something or perhaps a LOthar walthar barrel in whatever..

Ray - any chance we could get a picture or a bit more explanation of your bedding method? I’ve got a no. 1 25-06 that’s giving me fits getting it to shoot well reliably.

My favorite no. 1 so far was a 1S .338 I picked up at a pawn shop when I couldn’t afford it in college but bought it anyways. Shot great but did shift poi. Killed the only grizzly I’ve ever killed for myself with it.
01 January 2020, 22:09
Atkinson
Taj,
I can't post pictures but it is a V in the forend of aluminum with a screw hole in the bottom of the V and the forend screw is the anchor, then when you sight it in adjust the tension as you go until you find the sweet spot.

If you want to send me the gun, I can take it to the guy that invented it and have him install it. He is a friend of your dads, and if necessary I can glass bed the forend for you..and of course we wouldn't charge you a dime. Wouldn't want to deal with the rath of your father! rotflmo

Phil knows some top notch gunsmiths up your way that might do the work for less than shipping cost to Idaho, If all this is confusing call me or email me at the house. There are a couple of other options.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

05 January 2020, 20:41
taj shoemaker
Wow thanks Ray that's very generous. Sounds kind of like a Hicks Accurizer but with a metal V instead of just a screw? I'll send an email your way.
05 January 2020, 22:33
Colin Masters
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Ray I bought the Alaska Arms rings for that 308 Ruger International I acquired from you. They work nicely. Good luck with the new baby. Be Well, Packy.

I second the Alaskan Arms rings. They are really high quality.
10 January 2020, 17:04
p dog shooter
I aquirred a 1S in 06 in 78 was my go to rifle for 10 years or so.

Killed bears and lots of deer with it.

It is a 1.25 rifle that fact didn't stop me from killing them all.
12 January 2020, 05:09
Atkinson
I remember back in my SS days, and that's been many moons ago, I recall every game animal I shot with it I had imprinted in my mind "Remember you only have one shot" and by golly it worked every time..Until opening day of deer season and driving around the ranch and a monster of a buck at least 34" spread and a lot of mass ran in front of us..I jumped out before the truck stopped dropped a round in it and sliced the damn thing in half and the gun was jammed and filled with powder!!! rotflmof

Those little events are what keeps hunting fun I guess..and Ive never lived it down in the family...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

02 February 2020, 04:12
Atkinson
I finally got out today and shot my Ruger SS #1S and its the most accurate rifle Ive owned in quite some time..It shot 225 gr. Accubonds into 1.2 inches, 210 TTSXs into one hole about 45 caliber, and Nosler 210s into less than half an inch and all three to the same POI, 3" high at 100 yards with a 4X reading on my 3x9 Leupold.Guess its a keeper. so now I have two .338s for sale both very accurate one inch guns..

BTW, this is a red pad gun, so I got really lucky on this one I guess..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

26 February 2020, 00:46
Atkinson
Finished my load work on the gun, and I can honestly say the one load I willuse is the 210 gr. Barnes...It shot 3 into a dime size hole, too small to measure..I truly believe this is the most accurate rifle Ive ever shot with that specific load, Going to make some turkey shoots on that you can make book.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120