Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ne - surprise

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I am not a gunsmith, but I once played one on TV. And no DPCD, I am not a doctor, although many people want me to treat their ails pro-Bono. Good luck with that, I can give you a precise diagnosis with great confidence just like your real MD.

I have always been a fan of the B78, Low Wall, and High Wall. I’ve been told by some doctors of gunsmithing that Brownings are not their favorites to rebarrel. I’ve owned several and all have been super shooters. I want another but the prices have just become as crazy as I am.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Never owned a B78 that shot worth a damn.

Not sure what it takes to put a new barrel on one.

We had a 30-06, 25-06, and 45-70. The 45-70 was ok, the other ones would have been a lot better with 22 inch barrels.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Due to the extractor cut in the breech face, it is necessary to disassemble the entire action. The chambering and threading (metric) is all pretty straight forward. Re-assembly is a bitch; most of the parts need to be installed at the same time and you will need a spring compressor of some kind and and extra pair of hands. The twin hammer springs are a bitch. The furnished field manual assembly guide is not the answer to assembly.

By the way, that guide states "the barrel is not replaceable, you must replace it with the action" which I found out after I had it done.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes; rebarreled several of them; JK said it well; it is a bitch to re-asemble; you do need three hands. But installing a new barrel is very doable.
Totally unlike the original Browning/Win High wall though. Miroku design.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I've got a B78 that was rebarrelled to .280 Rem. It's a very nice gun and a great shooter. Trigger is pretty good. I've heard from several that they are a real pain to get right. Some won't even touch them.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a B78 with a varmint weight barrel in 6 MM Remington the first year they came out. It still shoots under MOA. It has accounted for a large number of coyotes, a few whitetails and one Antelope. I would prefer not ever disassemble/assemble one again.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There is a B78 in 6mm Remington in El Paso at Cabelas if someone is interested.

Please do not send me PM's asking for their phone number or for me to go look at it for you.

Not sure why people think this is an ok thing to do.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Never owned a B78 that shot worth a damn.

Not sure what it takes to put a new barrel on one.

We had a 30-06, 25-06, and 45-70. The 45-70 was ok, the other ones would have been a lot better with 22 inch barrels.

Had one that shot 20 round groups inside 1 MOA, in 45-70
510 Gr. Brooks 457125, 72.5 grains Swiss 1 1/2
Pistol primers, newspaper disk over primer, milk carton wad over powder .1 compression.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine in 6MM topped with a 2-7X Burris could do 1/2 MOA all day long, and it was "box stock"~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently tried to disassemble a Miruko .17WRM to refinish.
It is not possible, talked with my Trinidad classmate who has worked at Browning for 30+ years, "Use a bigger hammer".

Mine was not big enough...cannot disassemble.

I took a M-78 apart 30 years ago, it took me two days to reassemble, said 'never again' but didn't take my own advice.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1784 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote