Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring L.O.P
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I have always measured it from the trigger face to the center of the butt on single trigger guns, from the front trigger face to center butt on double trigger shotguns. Is this correct? I am asking because I see so many pictures on Guns Int'l., Cabelas, etc that it appears from the closeups, that they are a bit longer than the numbers they are listing.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Length of Pull dimension is way more important for me on heavy recoil rifles . Most rifles are made with to short of length of pull and really change the dynamics and felt recoil of the rifles. Many second hand rifles being sold are not showing accurate length of pull measurements. Buyer beware. Many resellers don’t disclose the actual (read short LOP measurement).
The L.O.P. measurement should be from the front center of the trigger bow (front middle center of the trigger bow) to the center of the end of the butt plate or recoil pad. Many rifles L.O.P. are to short for the average shooter, especially on DGR rifles. For harder recoiling bolt action rifles I like at least 14 1/2” and even longer 15” + on double rifles/shotguns.
I find the aftermarket butt stock spacers and pads over 1” long to correct improper L.O.P. a real eyesore on expensive rifles.

Posts: 654 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That definition I have never heard of; measuring from the center of the guard bow.

Posts: 17004 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That definition I have never heard of; measuring from the center of the guard bow.

DPCD,
I read that as trigger bow not guard bow. Look at the recently sold CZ AHR 416 Rigby custom big bore custom in the classifieds. The tape used to measure the LOP is NOT being measured in the center of the trigger and not from the center of the trigger to center of butt stock. Looks to me to it is being randomly measured from the inside center of the trigger Guard bow and measurement seems to be about 1” shorter than the 13 5/8” listed. Measurement for LOP should be center of trigger to center of the end of the butt stock.

Posts: 654 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Well, glad to know that I was doing it right, I was beginning to have my doubts!
Am I correct, as well, on double triggers, front trigger center to butt center?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Well, glad to know that I was doing it right, I was beginning to have my doubts!
Am I correct, as well, on double triggers, front trigger center to butt center?

Yes to centre of front trigger will be the maximum LOP, the front trigger is usually the first and most often used trigger therefore best LOP should be setup for this trigger.
Easier to accommodate a shorter LOP for those using the rear trigger first rather than having to reach for the front trigger with a LOP too long if the gun was setup with the correct LOP for the rear trigger.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes and by using the rear trigger first you don't have doubles doubleing, and thats not fun!!

Using the rear trigger first does not change the POI or anything else, thats the oldest piece of gundom BS in double rifle history!!

measuring from the center of the front trigger depends on hand size and finger length, fortunatly we get past this BS as the human body can adjust to stock fit simply b haveing to use it as is..I measure from center to center that being center of trigger guard to center of butt., and it works best for me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that British makers prefer shorter LOPs for double rifles than shotguns. I don't know the explanation but suspect the extra weight in the barrels may have something to do with it (ie the longer it is, the heavier the rifle will feel, thanks to the greater leverage). That said, a longer butt should give less felt recoil because the bend angle might be a degree or two less.

Posts: 4909 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote