Find
Notify
Tools

A Restoration Project.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Michael, those rifles are so good looking they make my teeth hurt. Major kudos! clap

And if you happen to have a left-over narrow sling swivel, I've been looking for one to replace a missing one on an Emil Kerner combo that's going to Namibia with me at the end of May; just the sling attachment loop, not the whole ass'y. The ring on the base this loop will attach to is 6mm (.240") wide.

Steve Meyer

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Email me, I checked and have two, one with an open top and one closed so I think I might be able to match the one you have.

mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
Thanks guys, it brings me a lot of pleasure to see these brought back to life.

I'm going to mark them somehow and when I decide the what and were of it I'll post so it becomes common knowledge.

Michael, I found this and thought you might get a kick out of it, if you haven't already seen it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whelen may have broken the stock when he was in Panama. Today it has an Adolph stock but not the original one.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ha! That is clearly the same combo rifle/shotgun, with a different buttstock that does reflect Adolph's styling.

Perhaps Whelen did break the original buttstock, or else why would he replace it with a less ornate one?

Looks like there is some oil soaked wood at the head of the stock.

I should have known that you would be all over this one, Michael. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael: I wonder if Whelen didn't have the carving excised below the checkering, the grip slimmed a bit around the cap and then had the checkering extended and some new swirls carved above the cap similar to the top. The top of the grip checkering and carving appear to match the original picture very closely. Perhaps Whelen didn't cotton to the carved portion so had it altered. Very interesting piece.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything is possible and I don't know where the gun is today. A couple of years ago it popped up on my radar then vanished. I understand that it was to be "Restored" which has given me a few sleepless nights Wink. I wish I knew more!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can console myself with knowing his Wundhammer is safe, warn-out but safe.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I had long admired Michael Petrov's collection of Springfield sporters and was particularily fond of his Wundhammer rifles. I was fortunate enough to purchase two of them from the Amoskeag auction and this restored rifle was both his and my favorite.
I know Michael shot his rifles and last summer I took it on a two week float trip down the Colville river looking for grizzlies . I am sure the fresh air did it good.

And the rifle shoots wonderfully

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
That's really cool Phil.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote