THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Tigging up some screw holes in Savange 99 receiver

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tigging up some screw holes in Savange 99 receiver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Savage 99 with 6 badly done scope mount holes I'd like to get tigged up and have the receiver refinished. Anyone know someone who can do this work and make it look nice?

Thanks JKS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might get a few more responses if you rephrase the question. Wink

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I wish you lived closer

My wife's boyfriend TiG welds for a living

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
You might get a few more responses if you rephrase the question. Wink

Didn't come out the way I wanted it to...fixed it for you... Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Pits, voids, craze and sink

TiG welding on finished work should only be done by a skilled welder

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its best to drive a red hot pin in the holes, then grind them flush then tig them. makes a really clean job..Usually $20 top $30 per hole locally..Depends on if the holes go thru the action, that would require a broach of some sort and cost a lot of money I suspect..I only know one guy that might do that, but it might not be required to function..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Ted Thorn
Could one just fill the entire hole with welded material melting the screw threads in as one builds up?
Is the plug merely a filler to cut down on weld time thus saving money?

Any advantages./disadvantages to either method?

Just seems that welded material throughout would be stronger.
Maybe what I do not understand is . . . strong enough is STRONG ENOUGH

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Ted Thorn
Could one just fill the entire hole with welded material melting the screw threads in as one builds up?

There is absolutely no reason to plug the hole and then weld.

A TiG guy worth his salt will weld it shut with filler rod and nothing else. Probably less then 50 amps and about sixty seconds per hole.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do any welding around the holes in the rear you will alter the heat treatment of the locking area of the receiver. Reheat treatment will be required.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
If you do any welding around the holes in the rear you will alter the heat treatment of the locking area of the receiver. Reheat treatment will be required.

Not always true

With our Plasma pulse TiG I can weld with nearly no heat transfer at all

It welds so cool you can lay your hand on the parent metal and never feel a temp change

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:

Unless you are really, really, bad about heat control, it is darn near impossible to weld on the rear bridge and soften the front locking lugs. And if you can't control the heat well enough, you have no business welding on receivers.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Ted Thorn

A TiG guy worth his salt will weld it shut with filler rod and nothing else. Probably less then 50 amps and about sixty seconds per hole.

How much heat is involved in 60 seconds welding, a minute each hole, a lot of welding for a small hole? Or was that six seconds per hole?

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Ted Thorn

How much heat is involved in 60 seconds welding, a minute each hole, a lot of welding for a small hole? Or was that six seconds per hole?

If I were welding it....almost no heat would transfer past the bead and the bead could be touched with your bare hand as fast as you could set the TiG torch down.....and yes.....one minute per hole approx.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Since the OP asked about a Savage 99, the bolt locks at the rear and care would have to be taken with heat control. Considering the size and amount of welding to fill a screw hole, not an issue for a good welder. If it were just one or two holes, you could degrease the threads, red loctite a base screw in, cut it off a thread or two proud with a Dremel cut off wheel and use a steel punch and hammer to peen it in place. With careful dressing down, it can be hard to detect. With 6, I'd find a good welder!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote