New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle threads for 1.25" muzzle, small caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Posted in Benchrest also, but hoping for more eyes here. I'm chambering a 6.5 Creedmoor, and doing the muzzle threads. I was going to thread 5/8-24, since that's mostly what I'd thread 6.5 to .308 with, but it occurred to me that since the brake diameter and muzzle diameter are so big, I might want to go to 3/4-24 or 7/8-24 or even 1"-14. I'm making the brake, or I'd just pick the brake and thread to match. What do the benchrest guys do on small caliber rifles with large muzzle diameters? Is there agreement on what's more accurate or more effective?

Posts: 1716 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No idea but intuitively you want to make the threads as large as possible; less to turn down; less time; equals less money. You are making the interface part anyway so that is fixed.
Accuracy and effectiveness would not be affected either way.

Posts: 17011 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many BR guys use brakes ?

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i'd do 1"-16 .. as that's the barrel thread for several actions...

it could be broom stick threading, for all it matters, as the alignment and class of fit matter more.

are you looking for a smooth profile? that leads one set of choices -- or a "tank brake' ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38350 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Big as possible makes great sense, and 1"-16 is as big as possible but still gives me plenty of shoulder over minimum .050 a side that you want on a muzzle brake.

It's going to have 1/4"x7/8" ports with a flat cone at the bottom of each port facing back at a 45 deg angle like most of the PRS style brakes, but I haven't decided if it'll be 1.25" to match the barrel or taper out to 1.5", but I'm leaning toward barrel width.

Since the rifle is going to weigh a ton and it's only a 6.5 Creedmoor, have thought about just doing radial brake, but probably will go ahead with the PRS style.

RCraig, I don't know how many BR shooter's use brakes. I know Clay Spencer and most of the other BR gunsmiths have them as a standard offering. I believe they're prohibited in some classes and confined to radial style brakes in certain other ones. No idea of the percentages, but it's not zero.

Posts: 1716 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure that with a 6.5 and full bull, a brake will do zero but add blast.

Posts: 17011 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote