New
Find
Notify
Tools

short throat in a 243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few years ago I re-barreled a Rem 700 to .243 Win. I had a whole bunch of short varmint bullets so I had the gunsmith cut the chamber with no free-bore. Now I am using more target bullets in the gun and they are of course longer. Is there a way to ream some free bore into the chamber so I can seat some longer target bullets out? I can't shoot the real long ones because I have a 1 : 10 twist. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's called a throating reamer.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
$55 from Brownells. Easy fix for you.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you just want to rent for a one timer.
http://www.reamerrentals.com/P...sp?ProductCode=6%2Et

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
A few years ago I re-barreled a Rem 700 to .243 Win. I had a whole bunch of short varmint bullets so I had the gunsmith cut the chamber with no free-bore. Now I am using more target bullets in the gun and they are of course longer. Is there a way to ream some free bore into the chamber so I can seat some longer target bullets out? I can't shoot the real long ones because I have a 1 : 10 twist. Thanks in advance.

You should not have a problem with the longer bullets, the 10 twist should stabilize them. As for your throat problem, as was said before, they make reamers just for that purpose, I have a number of them.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your advice and recommendations.
DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote