New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 M70 trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a really nice pre-64 featherweight. 3006 built in 56. Gun is in original condition shows honest wear. It’s definitely been well cared for. The only issue I have is the trigger. It’s really heavy. Watching YouTube videos, it doesn’t seem to difficult to lighten it up a bit by backing off other two nuts or replacing the spring with a new one.

Pull has to be ~ 6-lbs now, I’d like to get it down to a crisp 2.5-3 lbs. What is the best way to get this done?

Thanks,

JDG

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 701 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
From my experience, they do not need new spring; you need to adjust the one you have. I never had one that would not go to 3 pounds. However, adjusting such things should not be done by some people; not saying the OP is one of them at all. It also has to hold the sear in place if you drop it. Sort of important.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I installed a Timney a few weeks ago..Damn simple and VERY nice 2.5 lb consistent pull.

Whole lot easier than dinking around with the original. If you're on the clock, actual cost might be about the same

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
From my experience, they do not need new spring; you need to adjust the one you have. I never had one that would not go to 3 pounds. However, adjusting such things should not be done by some people; not saying the OP is one of them at all. It also has to hold the sear in place if you drop it. Sort of important.

Yeah, that’s probably the smartest and safest bet. I tend to underestimate my abilities but thus is one job I don’t mind handing off to a professional and while he’s at it he might do any other maintenance and he sees. It’s a 65-year old rifle that does not appear to have been messed with by an amateur like me so why start now?

Jay

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A Timney trigger on a Model 70?
I can't even grasp the concept. Sacrilege.
Sorry DW!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh well..I put aftermarket triggers in Mausers all the time

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me the old one, please

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mausers; of course we put Timneys in them. Funny, I did two today and the triggers were too long; had to grind them off. Sorry, OP, nothing to do with M70s. Keep the one you have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, I never ask about replacing the trigger, I ask about replacing the trigger spring or adjusting it to lighten the the trigger.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We know; DW was just offering a fool proof alternative.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DP...I thought I might sneak. that one past you!

The old rule comes to play "Man wants a blue suit, turn on the blue lights"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stupid question? I adjusted the trigger on my post 64 Win. M70 a while back and now lately I can't activate the safety at all. It moves a little but wont move to the middle or full safe position. It was always a little hard to activate.
I did find a metal pin sticking out under the bolt shroud which I think is a piece of the pin that holds on the rear (striker?) cap.
Any ideas?

Thanx!
Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP, you're on the right track to have a competent person adjust the original. One of the best and most dependable hunting triggers ever made.

To the off topic trigger replacement sidetrack: Expensive, but good; I've put the model 70 style triggers into my mausers, along with the 3 position model 70 style safety shrouds. After awhile, even this dim bulb began to see the light; I'd be much better off just starting with a pre-64 model 70...... Ducking to avoid the incoming!

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
DP...I thought I might sneak. that one past you!

The old rule comes to play "Man wants a blue suit, turn on the blue lights"

The guy paying is always right, after you've offered him the educated opinion and he declines, and is willing to pay for his way.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was in a local gun ship when a guy walked in and put an absolutely spectacular 20 ga Parker DHE on the counter. I’ve had my hands on a lot of Parker’s and that 20 was a beautiful example and all original. Anyway, the gun belonged to his grandfather and he wanted to keep it but render it safe to hang above the mantle. He ask the smith to weld the action shut. Smith looked at me and the guy and pleaded with
Him not to do it but the guy was persistent and so it was done. Made me sick and I suspect it had the same effect on the smith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess IM just old fashion, well old anyway but I believe the pre 64 m0d 70 trigger is the best trigger in the world on a hunting rifle,and good enough for me on any mod. 70, even the target rifles..Maybe not old fashion just old and out of fashion... old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
Several years ago I was in a local gun ship when a guy walked in and put an absolutely spectacular 20 ga Parker DHE on the counter. I’ve had my hands on a lot of Parker’s and that 20 was a beautiful example and all original. Anyway, the gun belonged to his grandfather and he wanted to keep it but render it safe to hang above the mantle. He ask the smith to weld the action shut. Smith looked at me and the guy and pleaded with
Him not to do it but the guy was persistent and so it was done. Made me sick and I suspect it had the same effect on the smith.

Sickening! Just a little imagination could have saved the gun and still make it inoperable

one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Send me the old one, please

Nope...advised client those parts are selling for $50-160.00. if he ever wants to sell them.

Truth is..I have no issue with the Timney replacement other that the shape of the lever.

BTW I see a Canjar for sale on "Pre 64 Win" for $300.00...personally wouldn't give a Nickle for one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold a pre-64 M70 a few years ago (still regret doing that) and the trigger pull was not memorable in the sense that I never had to think about it - it just felt right. The point is I never considered it a problem and I expect this one to be the same way. There is now way that I will replace it, but I think I would like it a little lighter. I trust the judgement of the smith I use and if he tells me it's good the way it is, that's the way it will stay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mr. doublegun: I own 5 pre-64 M70s that I've used for hunting now for many years. Some hunts have been on my own property, and others in numerous states. Each has a factory trigger that breaks between 3-4 pounds. For shooting off the bench for groups, something like a Canjar which would probably be able to be adjusted lighter, could be an slight advantage. However from the standpoint of reliability and "feel" in the hunting fields, I just don't know how you could get anything any better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
I sold a pre-64 M70 a few years ago (still regret doing that) and the trigger pull was not memorable in the sense that I never had to think about it - it just felt right. The point is I never considered it a problem and I expect this one to be the same way. There is now way that I will replace it, but I think I would like it a little lighter. I trust the judgement of the smith I use and if he tells me it's good the way it is, that's the way it will stay.

So if your smith tells you it's good the way it is at "~6-lbs" you're good to go with that ? It's your rifle, not his.

Posts: 701 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My 1953 M70 Fwt .308 seemed to have a little resistance just before let off when shooting from a bench rest. An hour with and Arkansas stone cured that and it has held at 4 pounds ever since. That was sometime back in the early 1970s.

All my centerfire rifles have the trigger pull set at 4 pounds + or - and a tad. Even my Miroku 1886 45-90, which had an 11 pound pull when new.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All my centerfire rifles have the trigger pull set at 4 pounds + or - and a tad. Even my Miroku 1886 45-90, which had an 11 pound pull when new

A 4lbs trigger is a good weight on a big game rifle

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Stupid question? I adjusted the trigger on my post 64 Win. M70 a while back and now lately I can't activate the safety at all. It moves a little but wont move to the middle or full safe position. It was always a little hard to activate.
I did find a metal pin sticking out under the bolt shroud which I think is a piece of the pin that holds on the rear (striker?) cap.
Any ideas?

Thanx!
Hip

Since your safety always engaged with some difficulty, it is likely the slight changes in trigger engagement allowed the striker to move ahead slightly so that the safety will no longer engage. The cure is to stone the face of the notch in the striker. Go too far though, and the safety will be anything but. The pin you describe does indeed retain the shroud on the cocking piece.
The work required to get your safety to function as it should is somewhat beyond a simple adjustment and it may be best to have the work done by one familiar with the job. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Bill ! The pin I found was indeed part of the pin holding on the cocking piece shroud. A 1/8" piece was still holding the shroud on.
I made a new pin out of an old drill bit.

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well done! The closer we look, the more we see.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote