New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commercial Mauser parts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have come into possession of an FN Magnum Mauser action, which is missing the bolt stop-ejector assemblz as well as the firing pin, main spring and striker, magnum follower and follower spring. Can anyone suggest a source for these parts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Western Gun Parts in Edmondton Canada purchased all of the Browning FN parts years ago when Browning closed those parts out.

Check with them.

J Wisner

Posts: 1421 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All of those parts are the same as any other 98; Followers maybe not.
Why does it have a firing pin, And a striker?

Posts: 17093 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant "cocking piece". It's not a vocabulary I deal with on a daily basis.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I do. Not daily; hourly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why call it a cocking piece then?

That’s not what Mauser called it.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We use none of the Haupt Stuck Liste nomenclature; We translated most parts; no more Shafts, Lauf, or Kammers.
I assume we call it a cocking piece because that is what one of its functions is; but I have never heard any American call it by the original translated name; Striker Nut. Early models did not have the emergency cocking feature; that was a 98 addition, but it's basic function is to cock the firing pin (striker).
So, the common name is not totally off.
I would guess that that name came from other early bolt actions like the Lee and the Hotchkiss, maybe the 03 and Mosin, which actually have cocking pieces.
I'll continue to call it a cocking piece; that way everyone will know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I call it a cocking piece as well, because that is what most Americans know it as. Just seems odd to call someone out on vocabulary when your using Americanized slang (ie incorrect) yourself.

All of my native German gunsmith friends refer to it as a firing pin nut.

Mauser refers to it as Schlagbolzenmutter which arguably is either striker nut or firing pin nut. This goes back to the earliest 1871 patents, though the US patents refer to it simply as a "stout nut" or "nut".

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, he didn't call it a nut in any form; he called it a striker; correct in neither English or German.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pissers

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What are those little olive green olives? I never learned the modern cell phone symbol language.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Are the strikers hard to find for magnum Mausers? If none of those other components are different, I imagine the strikers are longer than standard ones.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
FN did not make a true magnum action; they just hogged out standard ones for H&H length cartridges.
Read what I wrote above; just use any 98 part

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Ok, got it now. Considering Ray Atkinson's opinion of their metalurgy, that's an action I'd be wary of then.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And my opinion is that they are good actions; I have several of them; no issues noted. Now, I do not like opening up 98s for H&H length, when they removed part of the front bottom locking lug abutment. When I do it, I remove some from the front and some from the rear, and shorten the bolt stop.
Of course, the OP did not say what kind of Magnum action he had; if it is just for standard mags like 300 Win then they didn't remove any metal from the receiver.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
I have come into possession of an FN Magnum Mauser action, which is missing the bolt stop-ejector assemblz as well as the firing pin, main spring and striker, magnum follower and follower spring. Can anyone suggest a source for these parts?

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m98-m...-bolt-stop-assembly/
https://www.sarcoinc.com/m98-mauser-follower-spring/
https://www.sarcoinc.com/dumou...auser-98-firing-pin/

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Western Gun Parts has everything I need, but is relustant to ship to the States, citing currency problems and sales tax difficulties. Can any of our Canadian members suggest a solution? I transfer funds to Germany and elsewhere frequently with no problems, so Canada should present no difficulties.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Are you in the US?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I personally had a bad experience (as in no show) on getting a Mauser DST assembly from Germany. I finally got my money back but it was a nightmare.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Are you in the US?

Yes, obviously.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How would I know that? I thought your handle, XAUSA meant you are formerly USA.
I assumed that because you were trying to get parts from outside the US, that you were not in it.
Then here is an option; send me the receiver; I will get it running, and charge you for the parts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

You can buy commercial Mauser parts from Zastava USA and they are dead copies of the originals .. both the "98" version and the commercial version which Zastava calls the M70. They even have a website, so click click and you are done. But I can't guarantee you will approve of their semantics, after all they are Serbian and their website has been translated 2x to arrive at the English nomenclature.

Now the one thing I am not sure of: Browning used a funky bolt stop/ejector assembly on their "Safari" rifles, or at least some of them, that didn't work very well. So if you have that version, you may be SOL.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RUSS.

I am afraid that your information is partly wrong.

About 25 years ago Zastava made some serious design changes to the bolt cocking cam and cocking piece.
They speed locked them. So now the cocking piece is not the same as the FN or M98 cocking pieces in the cam and sear face areas.

For the old FN commerical flat bottomed cocking piece you chase one down, or have the V welded up in a M98 and redo it.

J Wisner

Posts: 1421 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I laid a Zastava, La Coruna, and FN comml bolt side by side and the Z has a V in the cocking piece projection; however the schematic on Zastava's website shows a cocking piece with a flat bottom like the other two. The rest of it looks the same to me. So I suspect there are evolutionary variants of the M70 action.

If you can use the M70 parts, they are very reasonably priced and of good quality.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never said anything wrong about FN actions, thats a misunderstanding, I said I would not use them for a magnum cartridge, they are fine for anything on a 06 case...based on the fact I know of two that developed headspace with the 300 Wby and a 7mm Magnum..and others have had the same problem apparantly so I just prefer a "good 98" over about any other action..and a pre 64 Win. is fine with me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote