New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drill bit size for Jerry fisher grip cap screw
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know the best drill bit size for the Jerry Fisher grip cap screw?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know the size drill bit, but I do remember folks advising to buy an extra grip cap screw and weld a bolt head to it and turn it into a "tap" to keep from harming the delicate screw heads.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talley sells a tap, they call it a pilot, that forms the the threads for the screw used on the Fisher cap. Pre-drill, then run the pilot in/out with a cordless drill and the screw install is easy with no messing up the slots. I use a little Chapstick on the threads for lube. Get the perfect fitting screw driver tip, Brownell's sells them. I think I use a #31 drill bit but would have to look on the bench to confirm.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After some trial and error, a 11/64 brad point bit seems to be about perfect for the fisher grip cap screw.

Also, an Allen head screw with 12-24 threads works like a charm to tap the threads: https://www.mcmaster.com/92196A261/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't you just use a tap?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the taps, they work quite well

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote