Find
Notify
Tools

URGENT: safety question regarding Evapo-Rust
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Has anyone had throat and lung irritation after inhaling Evapo-Rust fumes?

I inhaled a good whiff today and immediately felt irritation with residual burning in my throat and chest. That was about 12 hours ago, still feel it.

Of course, I'm think "CRAP - Covid19" but I don't have a fever or any other symptoms and the irritation started right after I inhaled the fumes.

Has anyone else had this experience with Evapo-Rust?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Has anyone had throat and lung irritation after inhaling Evapo-Rust fumes?

I inhaled a good whiff today and immediately felt irritation with residual burning in my throat and chest. That was about 12 hours ago, still feel it.

Of course, I'm think "CRAP - Covid19" but I don't have a fever or any other symptoms and the irritation started right after I inhaled the fumes.

Has anyone else had this experience with Evapo-Rust?

What's in it?
Go on line & look up the MSDS tu2

https://www.theruststore.com/m..._Evapo-Rust_2015.pdf
Probably CV-19 dancing

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I looked at the MSDS. Says it's non-toxic, non-caustic, etc. But does say to induce vomiting if too much is swallow.

Lists two "proprietary" ingredients - doesn't call them out. it's 83% Water.

MSDS

Spec Sheet

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've noticed the same type, but perhaps not the same level, of irritant from evaporust - it was odd/funny to read the question in gunsmithing, as i use it for motorcycle gas tanks!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
I've noticed the same type, but perhaps not the same level, of irritant from evaporust - it was odd/funny to read the question in gunsmithing, as i use it for motorcycle gas tanks!!

I was removing some of the hard to reach bluing on some Mauser parts. Trying my hand at Rust bluing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could have mixed with old solvent or oil or something else and turned to gas. We used to have folks pass out cleaning their showers before room inspections b/c they'd clean with ammonia and then bleach and when they'd mix, they become a toxic gas.

I also had a similar spell cutting a steel pole set in cement with a torch. The torch hit some chemical and I breathed it in and had immediate burning and coughing, and shortness of breath for a couple of days.

Might be the mix that gets you, instead of just the chemicals in the evaporust itself.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Could have mixed with old solvent or oil or something else and turned to gas. We used to have folks pass out cleaning their showers before room inspections b/c they'd clean with ammonia and then bleach and when they'd mix, they become a toxic gas.

I also had a similar spell cutting a steel pole set in cement with a torch. The torch hit some chemical and I breathed it in and had immediate burning and coughing, and shortness of breath for a couple of days.

Might be the mix that gets you, instead of just the chemicals in the evaporust itself.

Completely clean rifle parts - hit with brake cleaner and then thoroughly degreased and washed with dish soap and hot water. Container was plastic and Evapo-rust claims to reactivity with plastic. I might just be sensitive. I can't be around any type of cigarette smoke for example. Campfires don't bother me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ski:
Most likely what got you was
galvanizing.

Never been around that stuff.
I use pure vinegar to remove rust.

I used to have the same effect
when I spent a few minutes in
Ed Shulin's shop where he turned
stocks. Lasted a couple hours or
more each time.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I use it regularly without issue but always outside or in my open garage (habit, not due to any concern). Never had a problem. You could have a special sensitivity to something in it.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'm good today! Just 24 hours of irritation!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it!

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't use anything that is marked Safe, environmentally friendly, made from oranges, or the like.
It doesn't work for me.
I use muriatic acid. It will kill you in about ten seconds, so you use it like you are milking rattlesnakes. (I have not done that).
You respect it, And it works.
Or I sand blast off the rust; not using sand of course. Black Beauty.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I'm good today! Just 24 hours of irritation!

Glad your ok! I would make sure next time VENTILATION fan & open door or outside.
Next time your irritation will be worse!

Good luck, Good your ok tu2 dancing

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:

Cutting or welding galvanised pipe is a big no no without good ventilation, a breeze to blow fumes away from you and others in the vicinity, or use of a ventilating welding helmet. Zinc and sulphide fumes from galvanized steel are a good way of stuffing your lungs. That would be your shortness of breath, just don't get Covid-19 on top of that Big Grin

Cutting some non-galv steels in poor ventilated areas and breathing in the fumes is also dangerous as cyanide gas can given off. Cyanide is used in the hardening process for steel. You can quite often smell the almond scent from cyanide when working with steel.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote