New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win M70 .416 dribbles last case
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a last of the Mohican M70 New Haven gun 2005 ish when they closed. I picked it up just because. Anyway I like .416's but this gun dribbles the last case loaded or unloaded out when ejecting. The rest shoot out like they should. The follower and spring seem cheesy on this gun. Can a weak spring do that? Ejector issues? Somewhat intermittent too. I hate to have to send it anywhere. Ideas?

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you single round load it it barely makes it out of the port. Just kinda lays flat. Not "spinning" like it should

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Had the exact same problem with a 375, also from 2005. My guess is your rifle has the aluminum follower with the two cut outs on it. HEre's how I fixed it...

I called WInchester Parts and got a steel magnum length follower WITHOUT the cut outs. This means it would be for an older series rifle (I am not sure exactly what year). It will look more like a Mauser or standard length follower with the full-length ridge down the left side (which, in my mind, emulates the second round in the magazine while you are ejecting the first - which as you note works fine) BY the way, if you take the follower from your standard length M70 and try it, it will probably work, but it's too short. It worked on mine.

I had to fit the steel follower in the mag box by taking a bit off left/right/left/right until it fit and moved inside the box without binding etc. Once I did this, the rifle functioned perfectly. SLung brass (including the last round out) into a nice, neat little pile. Like a dumb-ass I sold the rifle though, and it has since made a happy trip to Africa and killed many animals.

HEre is the Winchester Parts catalog:

http://media.winchesterguns.co..._parts_pricelist.pdf you want page 48.

When I called, I gave the girl the part number for the existing follower, then I had her go to the parts bins and search for the steel follower of the same length with the full rib on the left BY SIGHT; I was not able to find the exact part number for the follower I wanted. She found it and I had it within a week.

I replaced the bottom follower with one that looks like the top one, but is magnum length,

Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect. Thanks. That's the same issue and I thought that follower looked wrong. Simple fix. Was your spring OK?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple older M70s I bet the followers will work, I'll swap them. Also use them as "doners" for finding the part number

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Spring was just fine. I had also messed with it while doing testing but when I got the other follower, it worked perfect. I must have cycled that thing 1000 times to make sure.

Just gonna take a wild guess here...if you have a single dummy round in the mag, and you yank the bolt back smartly (as if you were ejecting a round) sometimes the dummy pops up from the magazine and sits loose on the follower? Mine did, and the follower fixed the whole shebang.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Weibe a gunsmith that posts here makes followers? I saw this here a while back. Just googled him and did not get a shop contact. Anyone got it?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep!
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Spring was just fine. I had also messed with it while doing testing but when I got the other follower, it worked perfect. I must have cycled that thing 1000 times to make sure.

Just gonna take a wild guess here...if you have a single dummy round in the mag, and you yank the bolt back smartly (as if you were ejecting a round) sometimes the dummy pops up from the magazine and sits loose on the follower? Mine did, and the follower fixed the whole shebang.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Duane's number is (253) 535-0066

Not sure he's making followers, at least he didn't when I helped run his CNC for a while. Maybe he had stocked up though.

I would actually try the Winchester part, my guess is it might be easier to fit (being closer to the shape needed) than a Mauser part, but cannot verify that. Duane should know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK great I got the part number and the spring as well. Thanks!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Great. Good luck. I hope it's as easy a fix for you as it was for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suspect the follower is just masking or exaserbating the problem of improper extractor tension.

Posts: 2651 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
I would suspect the follower is just masking or exaserbating the problem of improper extractor tension.

Yup

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunslinger55,

Would you post the parts numbers so that I can order the parts?

Gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 789 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I replaced the extractor on my exact same rifle with one from Williams and have zero issues.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Williams extractor. I'll get the part numbers but the advise was not to get the part number but the all steel magnum one same length as part number with full rib on left side. Haven't got around to the call will on Monday. I swapped the Williams extractors from my other magnum M70's and only on the .416 does it dribble. So I am counting out the extractor.

On a similar note how do you adjust extractor tension on theses rifles?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You slowly grind down the lip on the extractor that fits in the groove on the bolt. This tightens it. Check to see that the bolt lug doesn't drag on the extractor if you take material off here. If it does you will have to relieve the extractor where it drags on the bolt lug as well.

You relieve the lip of the extractor tip to loosen. Careful here. There has to be a pocket for the case to snap into, and the lip has to be contoured so it doesn't bind on the case rim.

I can't remember off the top of my head how much deflection you should have in the extractor with and without a case in it.

It isn't hard to do, but I think it is best to have someone with experience show you what to do.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got the same problem as well? U353600380
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
Gunslinger55,

Would you post the parts numbers so that I can order the parts?

Gracias,
Hoot

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the new follower does not do it I'll look into this
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
You slowly grind down the lip on the extractor that fits in the groove on the bolt. This tightens it. Check to see that the bolt lug doesn't drag on the extractor if you take material off here. If it does you will have to relieve the extractor where it drags on the bolt lug as well.

You relieve the lip of the extractor tip to loosen. Careful here. There has to be a pocket for the case to snap into, and the lip has to be contoured so it doesn't bind on the case rim.

I can't remember off the top of my head how much deflection you should have in the extractor with and without a case in it.

It isn't hard to do, but I think it is best to have someone with experience show you what to do.

Jeremy

White Mountains Arizona