New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reciever Sight Parts Interchange?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at putting a Lyman receiver sight on one of my older guns. Complete receiver sights for it are hard to find, but base plates are not. If I get a base plate for a given number, 53, 57 or whatever, that fits, can i the get a complete sight of the same number and put the rest of the sight on the other base plate? Specifically im looking at a 53D plate and getting a 53C sight and sliding it in the groove.
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman 48 series sights are all hand fit, I am not sure about the Lyman 57, 53 or other series sights. The 48's have serial or assembly numbers on the base and slide in addition to the model numbers, i.e. 48C, 48 WJS, and then assembly numbers 2344 etc.

53C and 53D look very similar. It is worth a try. As long as the slide is the proper width to center the aperture on the receiver you ought to be able to get it to fit and function in the base.

The Lyman 48's depending on the era have three different slide lengths and two different thread pitches, one fine and one coarse, then it also makes a difference if the sight is mounted on the right or left side of the receiver.

You can piece them together, but be prepared to do some fitting (sanding or valve lapping compound) and also some trial and error with what you are buying.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can go on Guns International and find parts sometimes, they are hard to find, Ihave a 57 an I need the "sliding peep only" and no luck so far..I was drilling out the hole and got carried away "PING" TO A HALF ROUND SHALLOW U AS OPPOSED TO A HOLE. That sucks!

I do have some parts, send a picture of what you want and I'll did thru the box.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote