New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood rasps and files
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are your favorite wood rasps and files for working on wood stocks? Size, number of teeth, and other distinguishing characteristics?

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Japanes...d_i=B06Y66YYCQ&psc=1

I have one and love it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The traditional rasp for shaping is the Nicholson #49 Patternmakers File, which has pretty much gone to hell since production left the US. I have not tried an imported #49, it may be OK for a hobbyist. The reports aren't stellar. Boggs Tool sells Brazilian made #49s that they have sharpened for about $50 or so,last I heard. There are some others made in Europe, Liogier and Auriou, which are "patternmakers". Other than a 'patternmaker" a couple or three different length double cut half round in various lengths, and a couple ( or 3) of double cut rat tails are handy. You can't have enough different files. A good selection of chisels and gouges is a must have, but not the "cheaply made" kind. Most of those that are acceptable are European imports, too. Don't be shocked at the prices, good tools aren't cheap to buy. You could always make chisels and gouges if you're handy that way.

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
these are as good as it gets, I love mine.
https://www.thewoodworks.com.a...s/215-hand-cut-rasps

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forum member SDH used to import Liogier tools, but I don't know if he still does or not. www.leevalley.com has both Liogier and Auriou here, in the US. Boggs Tool sharpens rasps and files. Just use the 'search' to find what you want. "High end" hand tools are pretty much a niche market as hand work seems to be fading. "Machine made" being the order of the day. Go to any firearms forum on the web, besides this one, and you'll see "it's all about the machine work".

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
The traditional rasp for shaping is the Nicholson #49 Patternmakers File, which has pretty much gone to hell since production left the US. I have not tried an imported #49, it may be OK for a hobbyist. The reports aren't stellar. Boggs Tool sells Brazilian made #49s that they have sharpened for about $50 or so,last I heard. There are some others made in Europe, Liogier and Auriou, which are "patternmakers". Other than a 'patternmaker" a couple or three different length double cut half round in various lengths, and a couple ( or 3) of double cut rat tails are handy. You can't have enough different files. A good selection of chisels and gouges is a must have, but not the "cheaply made" kind. Most of those that are acceptable are European imports, too. Don't be shocked at the prices, good tools aren't cheap to buy. You could always make chisels and gouges if you're handy that way.

Those pre sharpened off shore 49's from Boggs are a darn good product. Cuts as well..maybe even a little better than a new original. I think the sharpening technique is the trick.

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

Those pre sharpened off shore 49's from Boggs are a darn good product. Cuts as well..maybe even a little better than a new original. I think the sharpening technique is the trick.
Good to know! As it is, I just keep having my Nicholson USA made #49s sharpened. 28yrs ago I worked in a supply store and one of the suppliers we used was a Nicholson distributer. I bought a box quantity ( a dozen, I think) of #49s and various other files (in box quantity)through the store. When the old wood floored hardware cleared out their inventory before closing the door, I cleaned them out of USA made Nicholsons', too. Ya' can't have too many hand files! I know those re-sharpened USA Made #49s that I've had Boggs work over cut very well!

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

Good to know! As it is, I just keep having my Nicholson USA made #49s sharpened. 28yrs ago I worked in a supply store and one of the suppliers we used was a Nicholson distributer. I bought a box quantity ( a dozen, I think) of #49s and various other files (in box quantity)through the store. When the old wood floored hardware cleared out their inventory before closing the door, I cleaned them out of USA made Nicholsons', too. Ya' can't have too many hand files! I know those re-sharpened USA Made #49s that I've had Boggs work over cut very well!

If you would consider selling a Nicholson #49 and/or #50, I’m interested. I’ve been gathering tools mentioned in David Wesbrook’s book. I’m going to try my hand at a semi-inlet stock, then see where things go from there.

Posts: 7477 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m going to try my hand at a semi-inlet stock, then see where things go from there.

Me too. I was going to take a stock shaping class but it was canceled.
Here is my "semi-inlet". The metal is a Mark X in .300 Win Mag. I have added a Blackburn trigger and a Wisner 3 position safety. Too many other decisions to make. I hope I don't screw it up as bad as the last one. Roll Eyes

KJK

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
CORRADI Italian GOLD Precision Rasp

removes wood like a meth fueled beaver and leaves a finish like 100 grit sandpaper

I file right and left handed so the fancy hand cut stuff would drive me nuts. The Corradi does plug more frequently than my #49 as the gold has a higher tooth density. The soft brush side of the file card gets it gone in short order. Unless you run it too long and burnish the wood into the teeth. I bought a Corradi copy of the #49 and it is very sharp and eats wood as well, just no comparison to the GOLD rasps. I used the new #49 a few times and now it just sits on the shelf and the gold takes first chair.

They are not cheap, but they are quite sharp and mine are all very flat & straight.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The SDH class? I want to take that class, also.

Your stock has a lot of carving left. My project is a laminated benchrest stock, inletted for a Mauser. I want to thin it down into a hunting stock. I also saw an uninletted blank and could not resist. It may go to a professional. I’ll see how my work goes. I’m not in a hurry. Certainly not in a hurry to butcher a good piece of wood.

Posts: 7477 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:

removes wood like a meth fueled beaver and leaves a finish like 100 grit sandpaper

I file right and left handed so the fancy hand cut stuff would drive me nuts. The Corradi does plug more frequently than my #49 as the gold has a higher tooth density. The soft brush side of the file card gets it gone in short order. Unless you run it too long and burnish the wood into the teeth. I bought a Corradi copy of the #49 and it is very sharp and eats wood as well, just no comparison to the GOLD rasps. I used the new #49 a few times and now it just sits on the shelf and the gold takes first chair.

They are not cheap, but they are quite sharp and mine are all very flat & straight.

Thank you. I will also look for these.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:

More good information!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those pre sharpened off shore 49's from Boggs are a darn good product. Cuts as well..maybe even a little better than a new original. I think the sharpening technique is the trick

I have the 40 year old original #49 and #50 . I sent them to Boggs a couple of years back. They are sharp and straight. They work very well for me.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a draw full of vintage #49 and #50 Nicholson rasps. I'd gladly sell them for $20 each + shipping.
Let me know if you are serious~~ I'll count them tomorrow.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1784 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
I've got a draw full of vintage #49 and #50 Nicholson rasps. I'd gladly sell them for $20 each + shipping.
Let me know if you are serious~~ I'll count them tomorrow.

Absolutely. I’ll take two of each, if you have enough.

Thank you. I’m hoping to attend your class next year, BTW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the Nicolson brand rasps and files.

People have said that the current ones are no good since they started making them elsewhere than where they used to make them.
But I am wondering what the standard should be. I would think that a professional woodworker would have all of the right in the world to comment on equipment that doesn't meet his professional needs and standards. But aren't they at least "good enough" for say a somewhat serious hobbyist that isn't going to put them through a professional grind from day to day?

In other words, what exactly is wrong with them? It seems hard to believe that a company like Nicolson, known for a quality product, would put out an inferior product.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2005, when I was interviewing stockmakers in Italy at Perigini & Visini I commented on their use of #49 Nicholson rasp made in America. Vincenso, the shop foreman pointed out that the best #49 rasps were made in Canada! I was unaware of a Canadian Nicholson's until he showed me one.
In my opinion the best of Nicholson are inferior to Auriou but the finest quality rasps are the Liogier. I've used all three extensively but never Italian "Gold" rasps.
The imported rasps with hand "stitched" teeth are the best for my money. I've yet to need any sharpened by Boggs, although I've had them sharpen Nicholson's and a pile of files. I'll bet the hand stitched rasps also benefit from this service. I'll let you know if I live long enough to wear one out...

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
KP, if you Google " Nicholson 49 pattern makers rasp " you will see some of the comments on the non-US made rasps.,,,,in particuar, this one... https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/181

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One would think that knowing they have a substandard product they would do something about it.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
One would think that knowing they have a substandard product they would do something about it.
I'm almost surprised that Nicholson didn't look for production in India or China as making (and selling) tools is all about profit these days. Craftsman wrenches no longer made in USA. Just look that up on Ebay! You'll find that used USA made Craftsman sells for a higher price than 'new' made Craftsman, just as an example. So many times quality has been sacrificed over profit from what were once premium made US manufactured goods, from files to washing machines and refrigerators or about any consumer goods for that matter. As for the Nicholson #49, the maker is counting on the consumer no knowing the difference, just that he paid $50 for it instead of $75.... Gotta' keep that stock price up!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I'm almost surprised that Nicholson didn't look for production in India or China as making (and selling) tools is all about profit these days. Craftsman wrenches no longer made in USA. Just look that up on Ebay! You'll find that used USA made Craftsman sells for a higher price than 'new' made Craftsman, just as an example. So many times quality has been sacrificed over profit from what were once premium made US manufactured goods, from files to washing machines and refrigerators or about any consumer goods for that matter. As for the Nicholson #49, the maker is counting on the consumer no knowing the difference, just that he paid $50 for it instead of $75.... Gotta' keep that stock price up!

I’ve been buying gouges and chisels from a Woodcraft store and a Rockler store. I mentioned that I was looking for good quality rasp, not Nicholson. Employees at both stores acted surprised that someone would say the quality isn’t what it once was. I was looking at Japanese and Swiss chisels at Woodcraft and the employee tried to sell me a 5-piece Kobalt chisel set. They push junk, even if you’re standing there saying you want quality and are willing to pay for it. Disappointing, but I do believe that the American consumer plays a large part in so many companies selling cheap crap. So many people think price is the only thing that matters. Retailers want those shoppers’ money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old Nicholson rasps are gone.
I do have a couple of #49 and #50 Liogier hand stitched at $145 each...finest kind~~ also one left-handed #49.