Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with an Arisaka 99 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Waste of time. If you blow a case in one, where do you think the gas is going to go? Look at the largest path of least resistance, and it ain't a little hole.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So with regards to gas handling, how does the Arisaka compare to the ‘98 in terms of safety?
Everyone knows Ackley couldn’t blow one up, but is that because they don’t contain escaping gas at all?
Does the shooter wear it?
Again, I’ve never studied one, just interested.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, nothing to do with the gas hole. That was just wishful thinking from the designers. It's simply too small to be of any benefit; consider the cuts in the receiver for the bolt ways and you will understand. Gas follows the path of least resistance.
The Arisaka benefits from two things;
The bolt is set forward into the barrel shank for at least 2/3rds of the thread length, giving gas a hard time to escape.
But the main thing is superior metallurgy; the receivers and bolts simply don't break. In the Ackley test, he literally stripped the barrel threads and blew the barrel out the front.
Neither the Arisaka, nor the Mauser in any model, is like a Remington 700 so yes, the shooter will get some gas, but that is better than getting pieces of Shrapnel. And I think the Tap is actually very good at handling gas, even without the hole. Better than any Mauser model. Just very clunky and awkward to operate....
And remember that they also had chrome plated bores; I don't think even we could do that in WW2. So their manufacturing technology was good; just production capacity wasn't.
Bottom line; if you want to blow up a 20th Century Military bolt rifle, pick a Jap 38 or 99. Or Siamese, (which has no gas hole).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make good trot line weight..just my point of view..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can't blow up a late Carcano, either. You can shear locking lugs, however. I've always thought that Ackley's tests were kinda lame what with odd duplex loads and all. I'd like to try and wreck an Arisaka, and maybe will try it someday if the price is right.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You Americans are spoiled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care what you guys think, I am going to make a rifle out of the action. old
Ray I don't fish so that is out of the question

Does anyone have a 35 cal barrel 1-14 or 1-16 that they want to sell? I am going to build it as a 35 Remington.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely; 35 Rem is a great round; but the Jap can handle a 358 Win easily. I just used my last 35 barrel on a 91 Arg, in 35 Rem....
But they will make more.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I'm with Tom, if you're going 35 cal. go with the 358 Win.
....and don't let anyone talk you out of using the action moon

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote