THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    6.5 PRC-Question About Instalation of Wyatt's Magazine Box

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 PRC-Question About Instalation of Wyatt's Magazine Box
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the process of trading for a short action Remington 700 to install a Wyatt's 0.0125" longer magazine box, with side openings for the front of the shoulders.

Need a fixture to hold the action straight with either top or bottom up/down with relation to bed of mill to open the back 1/8" on bottom, and to move rail shoulders forward one RCH.

Anyone make such a fixture?

Thanks,

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I recently opened a 700 L/A for a Wyatts box, doing the 300 PRC.
I screwed my picatinny rail to the receiver then laid the whole thing in a 6 inch Kurt vise upside down.
The rail enables registration of the round receiver in the vise, super simple, effective, 15 minutes done.

The same can be accomplished using and old Leopold 1 piece base.
Care should be taken on vise clamp force.

I suppose one could clamp on the rail, but not as rigid as down in the vise.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two matched v-blocks on parallels in a vice with the v-block U clamps holding the receiver down. Indicate off the cutouts on the bottom of the receiver to level, square, and locate. A carbide end mill will do the business with less fuss. Finally, creep up on your numbers checking for fit as you go because magazine boxes are only sheet steel bent around a mandrel, and can go a couple thou one way or another.

Posts: 319 | Location: SW Idaho, USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Webfeet, thank you for that advice. I marked the bottom metal by scribing around the box into some Dykem (I used to use blue, but now I use Red). Found a 3/16" carbide end mill. A local machinist will do the cutting. I can't stand up very well any more, so I gave my mill and lathe away.

Thanks again.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote