New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 70 trigger in a mod 54 Win.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sometime back I posted on this and some said it was do-able..Apparantly Id have to drill another hole as the mod. 70 spacing is different, and thats easy, but the mod. 70 trigger does not have a bolt stop?? Im told I can drill a hole and use a screw for a bolt stop??????? Need help on this one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I have nothing to help here - but i am curious -- could you check the action screw spacing, and see if there are close to 7.835?

then, if they are, could you see if a mauser bottom metal fits, kinda sorta?

as the 54 used "the mauser" (i think it's actually springfield as the 51 fell flat off the enfield) pattern, and had a 2 stage trigger, would a mauser trigger even remotely work?

i think i have seen ONE m51, and maybe 5 m54, and it's been more than a moment

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
One of the less desirable features of the 54 Win was that it used the sear as the bolt stop. They went all modern on us with the model 70 and actually put a separate bolt stop assembly in it like nearly all other centerfire bolt rifles had since the 1880s. I would guess that adapting a mod 70 trigger to a 54 would be fairly complicated because of that.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I covered this a few years ago so here it goes again.

Yes it is doable BUT listen carefully

The M54 receiver needs to be set up and the 1/8" diameter M70 trigger pin hole needs to be properly located, drilled and reamed for the trigger pin, in the proper relationship from the sear hole.

As the M54 sear is much wider than the 1/4" wide M70 sear, then two spacers need to be made and placed on each side of the M70 sear to hold it in proper position.

It would be better to install a Timney trigger unit for the M70, just the two spacers would be needed

Also the sear face on the M54 cocking piece is NOT THE SAME, the M54 is 90 degree face while the M70 is at a 45 degree face, also there are two types of M54 cocking cams, so this means making a new cocking piece/firing pin is the best way to solve this issue.

So now after a lot of work, fitting the M70 parts and making a new cocking piece/firing pin unit you have a rifle with NO BOLT STOP

Some people were using the Ruger M77 bolt stop, this only needs a flat milled on the side of he receiver, and a drilled and tapped hole and a square recess milled in the proper location for the stop lug to engage the left lug on the bolt to act as the bolt stop.

FYI, I still have a few Win M54 parts on hand from the good old days.

J Wisner

Posts: 1429 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Mauser bolt stop (sans ejector) on my 54. I like the looks of the Mauser stop better than the Ruger but the Ruger was my second choice. In some respects, I like the Ruger better as a stop but I think the Mauser looks classier. I retained the Model 54 trigger because I don't mind 2 stage triggers. It breaks at 3 pounds even and feels OK.
I also used Model 70 bottom metal on mine and re-located the front guard screw hole. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a mod. 54 cocking peice in MOD 7O housing with a mod. 70 safety and a mod 54 trigger at 4 lbs crisp and a 70 bolt handle..

I like this set up, and I have the option to return it to original with a extra complete 54 bolt and trigger..I think I'll stick with that...

Maybe hang on to the the complete mod 54 bolt with its 54 trigger. or sell it, who knows..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote