Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1906 Assembly Screw Bushing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Getting my dad's 1906 back together after a barrel reline, reblue and new wood.

No issue what so ever until I got ready for the final install of the stock. The bushing slid to the right. Major vocal encouragement not even colorful language helped.

With the bushing out of alignment you can't even remove the screw. So removed the main spring held my mouth right and got the bushing back in. Is the bushing supposed to be a press fit or simply lose?

Anyone else had this issue? I would prefer it not to happen because when it goes to the grandkids their dad wouldn't be able to fix it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would apply some epoxy to keep it in the right position.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would apply some epoxy

That was the direction I was headed. Just a drop. That way you could break it loose or hit it with a touch of heat. But, it should stay in place when you take the rifle apart.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
What bushing are you talking about? Isn't the stock attached with just a machine screw through the rear of the tang?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What bushing are you talking about? Isn't the stock attached with just a machine screw through the rear of the tang

The bushing is the one that goes through the rear part of the action that the hammer and the feeder pivot on. Enters from the right side. The takedown screw(holds the halves of the action together.) goes through the center of it entering from the left. That screw has that pain in the butt LITTLE pin to hold it in place.

I was playing with it today to see if I could get it to fall out. Seems to me with the hammer rotating on it with the mail spring tension friction would hold it in place. I know I was playing with the hammer when it slipped out.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Got it! Yes, hammer tension should hold it, or a light stake, but I wouldn't glue it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
With the way the front of the action slide around the bushing decided against epoxy. Did take a punch and staked it just a touch.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K