THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Recommended Adhesive for attaching barrel mounted sights

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Adhesive for attaching barrel mounted sights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had McGowen barrels copy a profile of a BRNO model 21 barrel and asked them to solder on the original sight sleeves from the BRZnO barrel. They were then supposed to mount the barrel to my action. They blued the barrel snd mounted it to the receiver but didn’t mount the sight bases or barrel band sling swivel. I don’t like the idea of soldering that close to the receiver, so now I think I’ll glue them on. Brownells recommended Locktite Black max 380, a super glue. I don’t like the short working time as there is no room for error. I would like a few minutes working time, so maybe a 5 minute set epoxy would work. Are there other products that will work?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
JB Weld

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Epoxy in the 3rd decade of the 21st century? No.

Use modern methacrylate adhesive. Select one with working and set time perfect for you.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I solder close to the receiver regularly, you do not need to use a high temp solder. You will need to re-blue. If you are worried about the action, wrap it in a wet cloth while soldering.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
black max works great, as does the smaller units of panel bond

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used super glue to glue a receiver sight base to an anchutz 22 LR that I have. It stuck instantly. No working time at all. I got lucky that I had it positioned correctly. I will use something else next time I need to do this. Don't know what. Will follow this thread for alternatives.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
JB Weld

I used JB Weld to stick shims and mounts together on a rifle that ran its scope out of down travel.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use one of the Loctite retaining compounds.
If your parts are close fitting choose one to suit.
If there is some gap filling required use 660.
I use 620 because I got it for free.
https://www.henkel-adhesives.c...ining-compounds.html

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiths been using varius solder for a long time on custom rifles, all mine are so attached, Your over reacting to heat, if done properly heat is easily handled...glue is glue, and does not have shear strength and is a crutch for poor gunsmithing..Just my two bits.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, stick with solder.
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Smiths been using varius solder for a long time on custom rifles, all mine are so attached, Your over reacting to heat, if done properly heat is easily handled...glue is glue, and does not have shear strength and is a crutch for poor gunsmithing..Just my two bits.

Glues all fail in time. Get the barrel hot, and glues, even epoxies, will come off.

It is my opinion that the rear sight sleeve and front sight base were lead soldered on, and that is what I did installing an Israeli service rifle barrel on a pre WW2 CZ action. The original CZ was a sewer pipe. Use pure lead, heat it up to 650 and sweat it under the front sight base. Works great.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Screwed and soldered. No other way.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:

I like your sight fixture! Looks like aan excellent method to get those sights plumb

My military front sight base was pinned. It was very easy to run a drill bit through to remove barrel steel. Barrels are made from very soft steels. That was after I soldered the base to the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:

I like your sight fixture! Looks like aan excellent method to get those sights plumb

My military front sight base was pinned. It was very easy to run a drill bit through to remove barrel steel. Barrels are made from very soft steels. That was after I soldered the base to the barrel.

Aligns the sights to the bottom of the receiver the way it should be. The V blocks are adjustable vertically.

Machining the fixture base:

Milling the V blocks. The fixture base is bolted and aligned to the mill table. Gets everything lined up.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are certain gunsmiths that can tig or silver solder sights without any damage to the bore..and yes there are those who can screw up an anvil with a powder puff!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote