THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Best way to keep sling studs from turning in a synthetic stock

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to keep sling studs from turning in a synthetic stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I am wondering about the best method to keep sling studs timed in a synthetic stock.

Wood stocks seem to have enough give that you can usually screw the stud in, and turn it to the correct position and the bit of crush will keep it in place. With synthetic stocks it seems that you don’t have the same leeway. Once it is tight, you can’t turn it to the desired position.

So I’m wondering if you guys use locktight, epoxy or some other method to keep them in place.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue loctite.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That'll work. Another method is to grind a scallop on the stud head, then locate and install a lock screw to engage it. Damn sure won't turn then.

quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Blue loctite.

Jeremy

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've switched all my stuff over to these:

From here:

https://grovtec.com/products/h...stainless-steel-base

I really like not having the stud sticking out when I don't have the sling on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the poster does not want his swivels to rotate ! hahaha
BB

Posts: 391 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never worry about it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had a couple guns brought in over the years where the stud unscrewed completely letting the rifle fall off the shooters shoulder. In one case the rifle fell 15 ft from a steel ladder stand and the Swarovski scope impacted a foot tread, heavily denting the objective bell. Interestingly enough the scope was still sighted in and functioned normally. Sent it back to Swarovski and they re-built it for free.

quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
I never worry about it.

Dave

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ive had a couple guns brought in over the years where the stud unscrewed completely letting the rifle fall off the shooters shoulder.

I have had a couple studs come loose of the years

I use loctite or epoxy on the treads.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote