New
Find
Notify
Tools

Machined lugs on FN bolt safe?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received an advertised NOS FN military bolt from a parts vendor. The bolt is blued, but there are machining marks on the bolt body just behind the locking lugs. The rear of the lugs show machining also. There is a label on the bag that indicates that the bolt falls in the accepted range of headspace. On the same site they advertise over sized FN bolts for rifles that have excessive headspace. It looks to me they machined these bolts to be able to sell them. There is a label on the bag that says they were harness tested to Rockwell 61.

The bolt headspaces, but my question is it safe? If the bolt was case hardened the machining surely removed it. If it was made of more modern steel perhaps not. There is no indication as to when it was made. What do you all think?

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have fit up several of those with no problems at all. These are late run bolts made of modern steel the best I can tell. The lugs on the ones I fit up were hard even after they were machined to spec.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely; I use these all the time. They are machined that way to achieve some definite tolerancing, which they provide to you. I am sure that the vendor selling them didn't machine anything. FN did. Yes they are quite safe. More than any other 98 bolt, I would venture to say.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is good to know guys. Thanks for the feedback. I am restoring a FN 1950 Columbian .30-06 that I bought as a barreled receiver. This bolt is right on the money with headspace. It's going to be a real mutt but will look authentic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is the parts vendor? Will an FN bolt fit a Mauser Oberndorf action?

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get them from Sarco, they can be fit to a standard length Oberndorf action.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.sarcoinc.com/m98-m...extra-long-lugs-new/

Are these what you are referring to?

Do they have FN acceptance marks on them?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are stamped on the bottom of the bolt root, but not the usual stamp on top of the bolt root. They have DWM Argentine and Brazilian bolts too but they are used. You have to call and ask CSR to have one hand picked. This is the package i bought: https://www.sarcoinc.com/m98-m...ctor-and-firing-pin/

Came with a new Argentine extractor and firing pin. You can see the bolt stamp in the image.

quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
https://www.sarcoinc.com/m98-m...extra-long-lugs-new/

Are these what you are referring to?

Do they have FN acceptance marks on them?