New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super Redhawk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How hard is it to remove the barrel from a 7 1/2" Redhawk? I would like to cut it down to 4 1/4".

Thank you.
Wayne

Wayne Johnson

Posts: 76 | Location: Yuba City California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting

Why do you have remove it to cut it off.

How do you plan on replacing then front sight.

Why not just buy a 4 inch revolver from the factory.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on cutting 3 1/4' off the rear of the barrel, then all I have to do is time the front sight.

Thank you.
Wayne

Wayne Johnson

Posts: 76 | Location: Yuba City California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you can thread a barrel and cut the forcing cone, and fit it again, I am sure you can remove it. Use wood blocks with rosin on them in your barrel vise (I use a 20 ton press) and a chunk of oak through the frame cylinder slot; it will come off.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am old and retired and own this gun, I have the equipment and the time so I would rather cut this one than buy a new one!
Thanks dpcd that's what I wanted to know.

Thank you.
Wayne

Wayne Johnson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne74:
I am old and retired and own this gun, I have the equipment and the time so I would rather cut this one than buy a new one!
Thanks dpcd that's what I wanted to know.

Thank you.
Wayne

beyond a good reason to do it!! good luck and have fun!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I'm totally with you; I would rather do it myself than buy a new one; what is the challenge in that? Then you have the pride of craftsmanship; anyone can go buy one.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
They are easily removed and easily shortened. Weigand used to make a nice replacement sight designed just for this sort of project. I’m not sure they’re available anymore but wouldn’t be terribly difficult to fabricate yourself. Have fun with the project; I enjoyed the dozen or so I did for people.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please post the before and after pics too. I have one with the 7.5” barrel that goes from full size to round. I’ve thought about having it shortened before too.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote