Notify
Tools

Do NOT Trust Gunsmiths
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Who can't do math.
I just got a barrel returned to me; one of my Rigbys. The owner said his "gunsmith" told him that it was unsafe to shoot, because the rear sight hole was too deep.
(He has obviously never seen a Ruger #1 which is full of holes directly over the chamber and very thin wall thicknesses)
Here are the numbers:
At 5.25 forward of the barrel face; .095 barrel wall thickness remaining from the bottom of the hole to the bore, over a 7x57 CM barrel. He thought that was drilled too deep and would explode upon firing.
Now, that is more than enough, and here is a Remington measurement for their rear sight in the same place: .061 barrel wall thickness over a 30-06 bore. I guess Remington didn't get the memo. Only made 8 million like this.
Of course I will send his money back because I am nice; but the so called gunsmith is an ______. I can't say the word on AR. Poor at math for sure.

Posts: 17006 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey...another entry for my book "Bullshsit in the Gun Business"

As mentioned, already, it will have to be delivered by a Peterbilt!

Posts: 3426 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he owner said his "gunsmith" told him that it was unsafe to shoot, because the rear sight hole was too deep.

So why didn't he have that smith do the job in the first place

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would remove the barrel, refund the money, and let him start from scratch. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3472 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I will do; no more work that is going to be inspected and evaluated by those who have no idea what they are looking at.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
No complaints about your work here!!! Smiler

Hip

P.S. I have had people do that a few times and as usual they had-----Diarrhea of the Mouth and constipation of the Mind!

Posts: 1783 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ADDENDUM!

Only complaint I have me about Tom is he forgot to bill me a couple of times and I had to hound him to give me an amount! Confused

Hip

Posts: 1783 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not an accountant. Although the Army did trust me with $300 Mil budget per year. Didn't lose any.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I'd tell him .......

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never do.

That is why I do my own gunsmithing work! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66667 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I leave a 1/8 wall thickness. I've seen deeper by quite a bit, especially on the Ruger #1's, those are plenty deep for sure, but they still work fine.
I think you might have a client, opposing gunsmith situation who's got it out for you
and that's all there is to that

Extreme example: Even if you purposely drilled all the way into the bore so it was a vent essentially, the most you would get out of it would be to blow the rear sight off. The barrel would not rupture from that.

Those guys are screwing with you.
Kindly say you're Nucking Futs and go wuck a song.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking custom work that you've had done to friends or another "gunsmith" (and I use the word "gunsmith" lightly) seems to be SOP these days. More often than not, that friend or "gunsmith" has been 'trained' by that double edged sword known as the internet. If we turned away every potential client we'd not be as busy as we are, and busy means growing the business. If you work for others, things like this have become part of doing business these days. Most who really don't know, figure they have it all figured-out just by watching YouTube videos, never having handled a tool in their lives. Todays' world if full of internet trained experts,,,,, doesn't matter what the subject or task.......

Posts: 667 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
walter kolouch told me --- after working in the gun trade for many years he never had the opportunity to meet a gunsmith
--he said it takes a mininum of two lifetimes to be one

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
dpcd. Didya seal the screw with loctite? No worries. Stick to your guns!

As you already know, like doctors and lawyers and whatnot, not all gunsmiths are created equal. I'd like to know who this 'smith' is by name to check out his credentials via an internet search. Guys like this usually leave a trail of negativity on Google. Send that to the customer. PM his name to me and I'll see what I can dig up. CB
Young black gun guy, old guy? Where was he schooled?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did not loc tite the sight on; it still had to be blued.
NO, it would Not blow the sight off even if drilled all the way through, the threads would easily hold all the pressure. And it certainly would not cause the barrel to blow up. .091 barrel wall thickness is plenty for anything; as I said, Remington uses .061 and Ruger, on the #1s, no more than that and directly over the chambers. CM steel is pretty strong.
I know nothing about the so called gunsmith advisor, nor do I want to know.
I also talk to every client on the phone, to get a feel of whether he is crazy or not. I do turn down some that seem to not be worth the effort. I just say, I don't have that reamer. Even if I do. So, if I tell you that, you know it's you.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Hey...another entry for my book "Bullshsit in the Gun Business"

As mentioned, already, it will have to be delivered by a Peterbilt!

Sign me up for the first copy.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To quote Nathaniel Meyers ,"Incompetence abounds, so be mindful as it is very different from ignorance."

Posts: 667 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep doing good work Tom!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to create a little blacklist that we could dispense among ourselves...

Posts: 1203 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understand please that I know virtually nothing about the American legal system, and that which I do know doesn't fill me with any confidence that logic, reason and fact will prevail.

However, I feel that acceding to this guy's demands for his money back is wrong.
I would offer to shoot it for him, in his presence. If it blows up, sure, money back. If it doesn't, sorry.

Posts: 453 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's not a legal matter in any way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Who can't do math.
I just got a barrel returned to me; one of my Rigbys. The owner said his "gunsmith" told him that it was unsafe to shoot, because the rear sight hole was too deep.
(He has obviously never seen a Ruger #1 which is full of holes directly over the chamber and very thin wall thicknesses)
Here are the numbers:
At 5.25 forward of the barrel face; .095 barrel wall thickness remaining from the bottom of the hole to the bore, over a 7x57 CM barrel. He thought that was drilled too deep and would explode upon firing.
Now, that is more than enough, and here is a Remington measurement for their rear sight in the same place: .061 barrel wall thickness over a 30-06 bore. I guess Remington didn't get the memo. Only made 8 million like this.
Of course I will send his money back because I am nice; but the so called gunsmith is an ______. I can't say the word on AR. Poor at math for sure.

Like to know the credentials of this "gunsmith" he had second guess your work. Also, either this customer knows absolutely nothing about guns, or he has a problem with just about everyone that does work for him. Bet he is on one or more s**t list.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can't educate everyone, even though I try. I do find that most guys actually know nothing about the mechanical and design aspects of rifles; they just know how to shoot them, more and less. And they do manage to kill stuff; even with that pest gun, the 270. Had to put that in!
Situation is now closed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
To quote Nathaniel Meyers ,"Incompetence abounds, so be mindful as it is very different from ignorance."

Ha! It's weird seeing myself quoted...

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1466 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
My bent on your great quote:
ignorance has a cure, stupid is forever

I may be missing a little PC in my diet...

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't educate everyone, even though I try. I do find that most guys actually know nothing about the mechanical and design aspects of rifles; they just know how to shoot them, more and less. And they do manage to kill stuff; even with that pest gun, the 270. Had to put that in!
Situation is now closed.

I you gave the 270 fair try, you'd abandon all those "Elmer Keith" relics....HAR...(just had to put that in)

Posts: 3426 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
About the wisecrack on the .270. I happen to like vanilla, German vanilla, 7X57. stir

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
My bent on your great quote:
ignorance has a cure, stupid is forever

I may be missing a little PC in my diet...

Don't worry! "They" will start prescribing you PC before too long....

I completely agree, ignorance does have a cure, and stupid is forever!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1466 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not call those type of persons Gunsmiths.

They are Arm Chair Parts Replacers

J Wisner

Posts: 1401 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I guess all of those German drilling barrels that are only about 0.100 inches thick are ticking time bombs . . . . oh, wait, that extra 0.005 inches makes all of the difference in the world!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Situation is now closed.

LOL! You’re channeling Elmer K.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom has always been incredibly gracious to me, and awesome in our dealing. I also had to remind him to let me pay him after he had sent my rifle to me.

Posts: 1276 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For illustration, ran a simulation of a screw hole tap (no screw) to show some numbers.
Pressure at 5.5" from bolt face was 50.7Kpsi,
Safety Factor was 1.0 for thinned barrel of 0.05"

Posts: 340 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Chart is too blurry to read; give us the BLUF.

one of us
posted Hide Post

I used 308 caliber for this exercise.
We are working on a 550 Magnum integral barrel from a 1.5" diameter blank.
The front sight retention pin hole depth was almost into the groove! and
we used simulation to find the yield strength so we would not
have the front sight flying off at an inopportune timeSmiler

Posts: 340 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people do not under stand PSI nor the basic rules of pressure in a container! How big in area is the screw hole? 50 KPsi divided by that area, maybe a tenth of a square inch. Plus the pressure dropping 5" from the chamber! Three threads for a screw will hold that!

Posts: 691 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
Some people do not under stand PSI nor the basic rules of pressure in a container! How big in area is the screw hole? 50 KPsi divided by that area, maybe a tenth of a square inch. Plus the pressure dropping 5" from the chamber! Three threads for a screw will hold that!

Sorry you do not understand pressure in a cylinder and lack reading comprehension.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The math to calculate the stress of a 8-40 diameter hole (no screw) in a barrel was grossly in error, hence using a static simulation. Note that once pass the tensile strength (135.7 kpsi per Krieger), there is no material disruption as there would be in an actual barrel. Hence the stress in simulation just keeps increasing. Nice thing about simulation, nothing gets broken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If someone could do math, why would they get into a field where they have to spend tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on equipment and tools, spend years eating bologna and beans while learning the craft, and then have people expect them to work for half the rate that the plumber gets to fix there crapper?

If they could do math, they would know that 6 months is not 3 years. As in I can get to that in about 6 months, then get it done 3 years later. Not picking on anyone in particular, just been involved with gun buying and building long enough to know how it goes, and I've been on both sides of that scenario. It is what it is, probably never change.

Hope you all have a great day.
John

Posts: 533 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote