THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on choosing inch pound torque tool.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Everything I've seen looks cheap except for one $275.00 caliper dial type. Prefer to stay under $150. Do our resident AR members have a favorite one?
custombolt

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I use this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the quality wrenches are made by CDI, the Brownells one looks like they mad it for them. Here's probably about the best value you can get in a quality wrench; it's hard to beat this price for the performance.

CDI inch-lb torque wrench

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I use this one.

+1

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Wheeler tool. I can’t say how accurate it is, but seems to work fine for scope mounting, and torquing stock screws. That’s all I use it for.
Question, how much accuracy is needed?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Some nice units there folks. Thanks.
Just looked at the Tektons. The TRQ21101 costs well under $100 and is looking very good right now. I think the quality is much better than many of the other ones costing much more, the range starts at 10 I.P. not 20 like many of the others and it's a "clicker" with a lifetime warranty.
I'll probably buy one of those tomorrow. Plenty good for my occasional use on scopes and mounts.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one made by Capri. It's served me well so far. Not cheap, but not expensive either.

Posts: 472 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Craftsman bought years ago for around $100. You can probably find a Kobalt at Hardware stores for around the same price.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 1/4" Tekton. I own other tools from them and like the quality. Minimum setting is 20. Close enough to 18 (max for my Swarovski) to work.
Thank you all.
custombolt

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I use the Wheeler tool. I can’t say how accurate it is, but seems to work fine for scope mounting, and torquing stock screws. That’s all I use it for.
Question, how much accuracy is needed?

I checked the Wheeler FAT tool against a quality Proto dial tool, it was within 5-10%.

WERA makes a good tool...

https://youtu.be/AuXb1QZJbHE

Posts: 1678 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
wow ... i just use a bike newton meter, and enjoy it ..

in machining, i HATE imperial measurements

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might search on 24hour campfire. A few years ago one of the members asked people to send him their torque wrenches for accuracy testing. I think he ultimately tested eight or ten brands and types with some surprising results. Sorry, I do not remember which brand came out on top.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The Tekton should be fine. Their ratchets are very well made and have a fine tooth click wheel inside.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Snap-On. Buy once, cry once.

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned several Snap On torque wrenches and when I sent one in to be calibrated they it back with cannot be calibrated ! This happened EVERY time so I quit using Snap On.

Thanks.
Wayne

Wayne Johnson

Posts: 76 | Location: Yuba City California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
Snap-On. Buy once, cry once.

Snap-on torque wrenches, as are most of the high quality torque wrenches, are made by CDI. In fact, I think CDI is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Snap-on. Snap-on has a terrible warranty, and an expensive recalibration service. Just buy a CDI branded one, for less money, and have equal or better warranty and service.

Note that I own somewhere in the neighborhood of $50K of Snap-on tools, including at least one torque wrench and a master series box. I'm not bashing them, I'm just stating the origin of their torque wrench. Snap-on is best value for their in house manufactured hard line tools, not their overpriced rebranding of other makers tools.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The least expensive, and always stays in calibration; is a simple beam type torque wrench. They are not as convenient to use but very simple. The inch pound ones used to be available at the bigger auto parts stores for setting the band tension on automatic transmissions.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Park Tools are used by bike mechanics. I've found their racheting torque wrenches to be accurate when compared to a beam type and a lot easier to use. I've also found Fix It sticks to be pretty handy for mounting scopes. Consistent, and easy to maneuver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Wheeler and a Mitutoyo. Mitutoyo is better but often use the Wheeler.

DRSS

Posts: 1894 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I cancelled the 20 & up and ordered the 10 & up dual action unit. Got here quick. Nice unit and it has a locking push collar instead of the locking nut in the back to keep the setting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a torque tool which is best for use in both action screws (fine blade screws and torx) as well as scope bases and scope rings?

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you really need one to mount a scope and make a gun shoot?? I don't and I have one hanging on my bench that I havn't used for years because I could see no real benifit for it, unless maybe for bench rest shooting I suppose, but I know many bench resters that use a $2.00 screw driver or a torx screw driver..???? just curious, maybe is like my golf clubs they are better than my ability..and more expensive than my custom rifles in the long run, I keep buying better clubs and nothing happens!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, agree, you don’t need to torque scope rings and bases.
I do it though. After I started torquing scope mounts, I found that I had been tightening those screws much tighter than recommended.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from Snap-On, along with all my automotive tools. They are not cheap but are truly the "Rolls Royce" of hand tools. The cost is less when you use the best.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Craftsman for years. Seems to work fine.