New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser Engraver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been considering getting a laser engraver to mark calibers, etc. on barrels. Does anybody have any experience with these machines and could offer feedback on which brand and model to go with for gun engraving? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son in law is the regional sales manager for a company which sells engraving machines of varying size and capabilities. You can reach him at anthony.harris.atl@gmail.com. I think you will find him very helpful.

Bill Warren

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bill. I'll reach out to him.

Kind Regards,
Matt

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ponder the question, YAG or CO2.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My limited understanding is that CO2 lasers are designed more for wood work. Ebay is loaded with Chinese made CO2 laser machines but I don't think that's what I'm looking for.
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Ponder the question, YAG or CO2.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Our engraver uses the $15,000.00 model with fantastic results.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
What don't you have?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, forgot about 1 um fiber lasers. CO2 light is 10 um, not the best for metal at low power levels.
YAG and fiber lasers are around 1 um and are absorbed better by metals.
The spot size is much smaller as well, increases the power per square inch at the focal point.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote