New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning 1885 trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an 1885 Browning that someone had messed with the trigger so much that it will not hold on half cock and has a super super light trigger let off like maybe 18 oz.
Who still works on them? I know Lee Shaver used to is there anyone else.
I don't know enough about it to even attempt a fix since it is not mine.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1503 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real question is what has been done to it. They have an adjustment screw, but usually you can't set it enough to make them not work. In fact, they don't help much at all.

The first thing I would try is a good cleaning, by spraying or pouring solvent through it, and then lightly re-oiling it.

One possible problem is someone honed something in the trigger group, and in that case you would remove the trigger group and send it to Lee if he still is working on them.

The other thing that is a distinct possibility is that it has had an engagement limiter installed. That is easy to check; you remove the buttpad, then remove the through bolt. Be real careful here, use a screwdriver that has something to center it. The wood is extremely thin, and if you use a screwdriver and wedge against the side, you will crack through. I use a screwdriver socket on a long extension and a 3/8" drive ratchet. The extension is perfectly sized to center in the hole. After removing the stock, look into the hole on the receiver that the through bolt threads into. If it has a set screw type of thing installed in it, back that out a fraction of a turn and you'll have it fixed. You can carefully put it in and out and experiment with the right place, and then finally place it with locktite to keep it from moving. Do the usual bump tests to make sure it doesn't release accidentally. Then, re-assemble the stock and through bolt and buttpad.

I like that sear engagement screw method, it is reversible, and makes for the best trigger with pretty low probability of screwing something up. Whatever you do, don't take any of the internal workings apart, except possibly removing the trigger as a group. It will take you quite some time to learn how to put it back together, and even more time to actualy accomplish it.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will contact lee Monday and see what he has to say, then go from there.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1503 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote