New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best paint finish for a ratty action?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I have a somewhat pitted Mauser Oberndorf action I finally figured out a project for, I'm going to fill in the pits with a filler then paint it with a spray and bake, just figuring out what appearance to use- gloss, satin, or flat.

Gloss is pretty much out as it will highlight the imperfections IMHO, so I'm thinking of using a satin black but I was also thinking a flat grey might have a nice even look. Whatever color I intend to do the barrel the same as well.

Anyway, interested in others opinions.

Thanks,

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF you like bright flat black.

Try Aluma Kote, not any heat set needed.
Makes a nice finish on nasty looking metals.

Make sure you shake the can good and often. Don't
let it sit on the shelf for months as it seems to
set up. then it's a bitch to get shook up again.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
What about Cerakote?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
flat black engine paint - get the metal warm to hot first ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Brownells AlumaHyde 2, although the engine paint idea might be better; it is the same stuff that the name brand rifle coaters charge $250 for.
Best to sand blast the metal first but not necessary. Degrease with xylene no matter what paint you use. And make no mistake, all these coatings are, paint of some ilk.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done the engine paint more than once on old beater rifles.

I hung a old Browning BBR barreled action in a Mesquite tree many years ago in my yard in the Hot as hell South Texas sun for a few hrs. I bet it was 105 degrees that day in the shade. I hit it with Hi Temp Eng paint, let it dry in the sun and looked like it had been sent out and coated. That was 20 yrs ago it still looks good.

I still perfer a good blue job!!!

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I had a similar rifle and used Krylon flat black. Since I didn't use filler first, I used heavy coats. Covered the pits. It's not pretty, but the flat black hides the poor surface finish pretty well.

That said, I think grey would look really neat if the filler levels stuff out pretty well.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heat the part first to about 150 then spray several thin coats of Krylon. Thin coats keep the "flat" appearance. Thick coat looks too shiny sometimes. Read instructions. Good luck.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Rustolium Semi-gloss black which worked well and held up well. The only problem I have had is the paint disolves at the underside of the muzzle due to solvent when cleaning the bore.

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Hipshoot. Try putting 5 or 6 coats of polyurathane over the rustolium. It seems to help to keep the cleaning solvents off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx! Will ry it.

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote