THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I am Sure Some Of My Friends Here Thought Of This Too

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am Sure Some Of My Friends Here Thought Of This Too
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
A friend came over wanting a scope to be installed on his rifle, and sight it in.

I got the scope mounts out of the box, and dropped everything on my magnetic board. It is a white board that is 10x8 inches.

Originally it is magnetic, but I found the magnet is very strong.

So I got some of those very strong magnets from Amazon - the ones I used here are about 2 inches by a quarter inch wide.

Anyway, I super glues several around the edges on the back of the board, and some are end to end forming an X from corner to corner.

This made the board very strong magnetically, and things dropped on it don't fall off.

My friend noticed how strong the magnets board was and asked why is it stronger than the one he uses.

I have had this for years, just thought of sharing it with you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That is cool. I have those flexy strip magnets, about 1/4" wide, made to hold papers to a display board but they are also weak.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
That is cool. I have those flexy strip magnets, about 1/4" wide, made to hold papers to a display board but they are also weak.

Exactly why I modified this.

Also, in my workshop outside I have those metal tool boards - which have holes all sorts of holders fit in.

I have added metal magnetic tool holders - they are much stronger than the strips.

And they are very handy to hold all sorts of tools.

As the old saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention.

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Just stay away from those rare earth magnets! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it irritate you that all your tools become magnetic after a while?

Personal preference I guess.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:

This is basically for working on scopes, and getting the tools magnetized does not bother me at all her.

There are parts in my CNC lathe that actually require a magnetized tool to get to, or one requires fingers that are 12 inches long!

Sometimes I wonder how the designers ever did some of these things.

Here is an example.

There is a small reservoir for light lubricant.

It sits just inside the back of the machine.

But, one can look at it and see if it requires filling.

But try to fill it?

One has to take the back panel off!

I used a cutting tool and cut off part of the ack panel.

Now it is much easier tofill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

This is basically for working on scopes, and getting the tools magnetized does not bother me at all her.

There are parts in my CNC lathe that actually require a magnetized tool to get to, or one requires fingers that are 12 inches long!

Here is an example.

B

Why is it necessary to lubricate your light? Confused

Posts: 537 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Here is an example.

B

Why is it necessary to lubricate your light? Confused

Sorry if I did not make it clear.

The CNC lathe machine requires different types of lubes, and this is one of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfectly clear, sir; just someone making a joke about the odd english dual meaning of the word light for "photons of energy in the visible spectrum" as well as the other meaning of "low viscosity"

Actual triple meaning, could also be "having low mass density".

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the strips to hold files, chisels,, etc. Yes, they do become magnetic which can be a real pain. Just get one of those hand held magnetizer/de magnetizers..easy to use

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love them or hate them. But a seriously magnetized file is about as worthless as it gets, IMO.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Magnets must be used judiciously, but I reluctantly admit that I was never smart enough to use your techniques, Saeed.

They seem brilliant to me.

But I am one of those benighted souls who will regret, on his dying day, the many days of his life that he spent looking for tiny items that he had managed to lose when it was critical, at the time, to have the lost items at hand.

I have added many new curse words to the dictionary at such times.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My dad used to make eyes and ears for alphabet soup agencies and every thing he did was on a micro scale. He embedded neodymium magnets around the edge of his bench to catch those teeny little screws and other parts that went flying all over the place during assembly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes but the holes in my denum pants knees are in style now!! Every noticed how a screw or especially a spring can bounce to the end of a 40 foot shop only to be found 5 years later!! Mad

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote