New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing stock from new bedding job
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've just done a bedding job on a M70 using Devcon As I've not done one in quite a while, I'm a little nervous on how the initial removal of the stock will go. Any recommendations on procedures you've used successfully for first removal. Also, how long do you allow for curring prior to removal? Thanks in advance.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
24 hours.
Whack the receiver with a big plastic hammer. Several ways to remove the receiver; make a puller that fits over the stock. Put the guard screws in and tap those.
I always just tap the comb on the bench and hold the barrel. Resist the temptation to lift up the barrel too much. You want it to come up as straight as possible.
Or freeze it. I never do that.
If you did it right, it will come out easily. If you didn't.....

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Tom. Exactly where on the receiver do you tap, and how are you positioning the stock for tapping the comb, and how hard a tap? thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use Johnson's Paste Wax as a release agent and it will come out easily. Plug recesses with clay. We take a rubber mallet and smack the top of the receiver. Then clamp the gun upside down by the barrel in a padded vise. Grab the forearm in one hand and the stock in the other. Wiggle off.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He is past the release agent and clay stage; as I said, if he didn't do that right, just leave it in forever. Right, as Bob said, on top of the ring. Remember that stocks are easy to break through the wrist, so be very careful.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
put the bolt in and take a wood block and tap it out..I can even hold the forend and tap the barrel in fromt of the forend with a lead hammer lightly until it gives a tad then pull it apart..Lots of different ways and tricks to release and most work. just don't get overly aggressive, go slow and work it apart..the proper use of release agent goes one hell of a long ways preventing problems..I use the old world Johnsons wax, not the new stuff..I use Marine Tex, but suggest to the newbie to use Brownells gel to start with..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a Mauser using Devcon titanium.
I used furniture wax for release agent then removed it like this guy-

https://youtu.be/xj_iwfYq-5g

Came out easy.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
If all else fails....c-clamp and 3 blocks of wood. might want to cover the c-clamp end with rubber

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it out guys. Used dpcd's advise and put front and back guard screws in and using a plastic mallet and small block of wood directly on the screw heads, kept whacking the screws. Actually took a good number of hits. Back broke loose first and then I could rock it a little back and forth, then more and finally came. Used old Johnson's paste wax as release agent. Many thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is always that moment just before she comes out.

When one is saying did I use enough release agent.

Then great relief when she pops free. Smiler

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pdog,
then there is the Aw Shit moment, that most live with to one degree or another early on in life with glass!!! rotflmo

When all else fails, get out moms hair dryer heat the crap out of the barrel channel and action and pry it out and then keep heating and get all the glass out and start over..Ive been told you can freeze it in the deep freeze and break the metal out of the wood..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote