New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock material
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Simple question---Can a gun stock size blank be too heavy? I have a blank that is 4" x 6-1/2" x 52" and it weighs 30.5 pounds. Eeker

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like a fence post than a stock blank..the thicker it is, the more issues there may be in the drying/curing

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Can it be too heavy and still be wood?
No. Will your finished stock be too heavy for you?
Only one way to find out.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If you look at the photos in Custom Rifles I posted of the pre-64 Model 70, the blank I used for that rifle weighed over 26 pounds when I bought it, green. By the time I used it the weight had dropped to just over 11 pounds. How dry is your blank?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a big stick of wood. You could calculate the cubic inches and compare the weight/density to other standard stock hardwoods if you are concerned. It's an awful lot of work to shape a stock from it and decide later it's too heavy...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I read the blank dimensions... it is 4"thick. That would cause extra weight. You say in your ID you are in the PNW. Relative humidity plays a part. Portland, OR kept my wood at 18% even after 10 years of "drying". May I suggest, IF the blank is 4" thick..... you get 1" off the blank in thickness and weigh it again. Great length for a Mannlicher stock!

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This blank was cut in the 1930's. There is no written documentation but this blank was given to me from a very good friend who's grandfather
claims it came from the Henry Ford estate.
It should be dry!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Walnut can weigh 35 - 40 lb. cuft
If your blank is rectangle it's about 3/4 of a cuft.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious... Assume this is black walnut?

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was labeled Rosewood. It is as dark as any walnut that I have seen. I could post pics if needed.