Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pad on Vanguard
 Login/Join

posted
Friend brought me a weatherby vanguard and wished to change the recoil pad. removed the screws and it appears that the pad is also glued on. without stock destruction any suggestions on how to remove the pad. very thin pad on a 338 Winchester mag. a bit brutal. any help appreciated.
thankx Dick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which stock does it have? If you simply put a thicker pad on, it will change the length of pull. You may need/want to trim the stock to keep the same length of pull. No need to remove the pad in this case, you are cutting it off anyway. May not matter, but something to keep in mind.

On wood, you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat up the pad and soften the glue. Option 2, for fiberglass or wood, put it in the freezer, pull it out and then give the pad a hit from the side with a punch and hammer. They usually pop right off.

Last resort, grind the whole thing off with a disc grinder.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I cut right down the center of the Bakelite plate on the pad with the band saw. Then grind the remaining 1/32nd off on the belt sander.

My anger management classes have not cured me of that little quirk !

popcorn

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I cut right down the center of the Bakelite plate on the pad with the band saw. Then grind the remaining 1/32nd off on the belt sander.

We do it the same way here. Easy...if you have the right tools.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I do it like Speer does too.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
When you cut, keep as close to stock as you can without touching as lots of pads, all Pachmyer as far as I know, have a metal plate imbedded in them.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably not glued on but installed while stock finish was not fully cured. I had the same with my identical Howa 1500. Gently tap the but plate with something appropiate on the top end of
the stock and it will come off eventually

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
When you cut, keep as close to stock as you can without touching as lots of pads, all Pachmyer as far as I know, have a metal plate imbedded in them.

Actually I like those the best John. I use my metal saw and just tip the cutting head upright. When I hear the blade hit the steel plate I just take a quick turn to the inside, next to the wood and get the blade running along the side of the metal plate. When the pad is off the cut is so straight that it looks like it was done by a magician. Don't do it with a wood blade of course.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote