THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    700 long action options m16 extractor or weight until I need to?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 long action options m16 extractor or weight until I need to?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Got 2 long action 700's NIB cheap.

One is a magnum and the other is a 30-06 bolt face.

I am thinking about doing a 416 Remington Magnum (because I have a ton of brass, bullets and two sets of dies) on one.

The other one will get a 9.3x62 barrel.

Going to use Darrel Hollands bolt handles, install a side bolt release in both, and m16 extractors.

Going to build them both on McMillan Lawson thumbholes as ADLs, 24 inch barrels, and both will get a brake from my local gunshop, and a thread protector for hunting.

1st question do I need to do m16 extractors, or just wait until Have a problem and then do them?

2nd question, is 4 enough contour for the 9.3x62 to build a 9 pound rifle? What is a good contour for the 416 for an 11 pounder?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with the Remington extractor as long as it was installed properly. The big issue to look for is if the extractor ring protrudes into the bolt face from it's recess. This can easily be corrected with a Dremel and cone diamond stone. Just grinding the edge off the extractor band until even with the interior bolt nose diameter. Secondarily, make sure extractor is free to spring out when cartridge is pressed into the bolt face.

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
(i am re-reading my post - and it sounds like you have your mind set, and I am being contrary - don't read it like that, but i see where you could)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. "Needing" M16 extractors is another whole discussion/topic.

if you are talking fully dressed weights, those are fine targets ... if you are talking unloaded rifles, those are at least 2# to heavy, each - my 550 express doesn't weight 11#, loaded

use the pacnor barrel contour calculator, once you have the action, stock, recoil pad, scope, bases, mounts, etc weighed

seriously, though, a 416rem doesn't need a brake, (unless you are planning on prone A LOT) or to be heavy -- a proper load of win760 and a 400gr pill is a little bit heavier recoil than a 375. --

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If the Remington extractor needed fixing, the US Army would not use it as is on the M24 Sniper rifle. We tend to test the hell out of everything. You will not have a problem.
And I use a Sako extractor when converting a 473 bolt to a 532; not an M16 one.
Barrel weights; call Stan at Douglas and he will tell you want contours to get.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome thank you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DCPD for what it is worth the Navy gunsmiths at Naval Weapons Center Crane have been building Navy Mk13 300 Win sniper rifles on 700s with upgraded extractors for a long time (they just switched to Stillers a few years ago).

But I agree the Army and Marine Corps M24s and M40s are straight run 700 actions.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Check the numbers of how many rifles each uses.....the Navy use is very small.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Remington extractor works well,IF the breech face is kept clean & was installed correctly when bucking the rivet.
(a case rim is not the proper procedure)
(having to modify the bolt nose/extractor for proper function is a hack job at best)
The .532" face bolts are the only riveted extractors,as the .473" & .378" face extractors just snap into place.
The .588" .338Lapua bolt noses have a pinned M16 type extractor installed from Remington.

An improperly machined SAKO type extractor install that has a through hole instead of the designed counter bore for the extractor to pivot in is a dangerous situation.

Yes,some break on occasion & some bend during installation.
If bent during installation,remove it,pitch it & install a new one.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 338 Remingtons use an M16 extractor only because the bolt is too small to install a standard Rem type. There is no room for the groove that holds them.
Not because it is stronger.
Math; .700 bolt, minus a .595 bolt face equals .105; divide by two; .0525, cut a .050 deep groove, and you are left with, paper. Or air.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Check the numbers of how many rifles each uses.....the Navy use is very small.

When I was on active duty there were 4000-6000ish SEALs, that would be from 1993-2013. Maybe 40-50% had been to sniper school, it is a very different group. I have not met one that had not been.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Total numbers of Army and Marine Corps snipers would have been higher.

That and there are no Seabees, EOD, or Navy Divers that normally go to sniper school.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington extractors a just fine.....they will tear the rim off a stick case! I have had much more troubles with the incredible mauser extractor.....

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And once the bolt nose is bastardized & properly bushed-

The 3 rings of steel is eliminated from the design.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
And once the bolt nose is bastardized & properly bushed-

The 3 rings of steel is eliminated from the design.

And then everyone loses eyes or fingers. lol

No they don't.
Plenty of designs have a long history of performing safely w/o the vaunted 3 rings.

Now if you are the kind of guy who overloads, jams the wrong cartridge down the pipe or packs obstructions down the barrel 3 rings might be the way to go.

If not it is irrelevant marketing.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; the three rings of steel thing does work, and once you install a slot in the bolt, it then looks like every other bolt action on earth. We don't hear about those disintegrating do we?
BUT it only needs to work if you are stupid. I have seen 700s fired with a case full of pistol powder (same guy didi it twice on two rifles in a 243), and nothing was even noted except the bolts would not open. Inside was a mess though. What that would do to all other designs? More gas would come out.
Point is, we shooters somehow, manage to make all other rifle designs function well enough so as to avoid damage to our bodies.
If they blew up and killed AR members on a regular basis, there would be one left here. Because few of us use 700s for custom builds. Ok, one guy does; do not send me hate mail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
1st question do I need to do m16 extractors...

Do you NEED a 416? Smiler I'd say, if you want it then get it. LRI is set up to do a variety of CNC customizations on R700 parts.

The 30-06 would have more meat remaining around the bolt face. If you want a M16 extractor, that one might open up to magnum without a bushing.

https://www.longriflesinc.com/...llation-to-m700-bolt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Remington extractors a just fine.....they will tear the rim off a stick case! I have had much more troubles with the incredible mauser extractor.....

Really? Just what kind of trouble?

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh,, for sure you are right; I have opened up many 473 remingtons to 532, and installed a Sako extractor; no need for a bushing as the original extractor slot is cleaned up. But that is not the point they make about cutting a slot in the first place.
That place in the link seems to be wasting a lot of time threading in a bushing when they could just start with a smaller bolt face. Maybe for a .223.
Or just buy a new bolt from PTG for less money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or for that matter, solder it in with "Force 44"

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Exactly what I use, when I do have to bush one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

BUT it only needs to work if you are stupid. I have seen 700s fired with a case full of pistol powder (same guy didi it twice on two rifles in a 243), and nothing was even noted except the bolts would not open. Inside was a mess though. What that would do to all other designs? More gas would come out.

Maybe if the 1st time he got a face full of hot gas and brass he wouldn't have done it a 2nd time. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Really? Just what kind of trouble?

I agree with JTEX; a 700 will rip the rim off the case if it doesn't extract the case. I did have one break (.223) but otherwise haven't had issues.

I once had a hot load in my Mod 70 .416 fail to extract because the claw just popped off the case rim.

Bottom line is, don't load stuff hot and you don't have to worry about it- I don't care what action you use, too hot is asking for trouble.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote