THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Do NH Mod 70 classic actions fit well in FN SC mod 70 stocks?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do NH Mod 70 classic actions fit well in FN SC mod 70 stocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do NH Mod 70 classic actions fit well in FN SC mod 70 stocks? I'm more interested in the wood stocks. The triggers are different so I'm guessing some inleting might be needed. How dimensionaly close are the two actions? Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The actions, besides the trigger block, are identical. The bottom metal, however, is not the same, it has different inletting due to the FN one piece bottom metal.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I was beginning to think that I was going to be left hanging! This begs another question: Is SC bottom metal compatible with NH actions? If they are truly identical, then they should be compatible, right?
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the answers. I purchased a M70 featherweight stock. It cam with a plastic insert incase I had the one piece base. Looks to me like you could simply glass in the needed area on a 2 piece inletted stock for the 1 piece.. Nothing of the insert shows.

So unless I'm missing something you could take a 1 piece stock and open the inletting for a 2. If you have a 2 piece then you would simply need to glass under the bottom metal.

What am I missing. I'm a novice when it comes to the M70.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Matt, I think the only differences between the NH and SC rifles are the MOA trigger and the barrel thread pitch. As far as I understand everything else is the same. Maybe someone else might know. I've handled the SC guns and they look just fine. Better finished than the 3 NH guns I have for sure.

One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
The 1-piece bottom metal on the SC M70s is the same as 1-piece bottom metal on NH Classic M70s. The NH Classic Safari Express and Supergrade models used 1 piece bottom metal. I have swapped the 1-piece bottom metal between the SC and NH rifles with no problem, The NH Classic Sporter model, and I think the NH Featerweights, with the 2-piece bottom metal is another story, it is shorter, more narrow around the action screws, and requires shallower inletting.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.