Short action what?

Posts: 17044 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Model 70

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x54mm when loaded with its traditional 160-grain RN bullet has an OAL approaching 3". The M70 short action has a magazine length that will accommodate cartridges about 3.06" long. So, the cartridge will fit but the MS case is smaller in diameter than the standard .308 bolt face. A better choice would be the 6.5 x 47mm Lapua or a 6.5 Creedmoor which have similar, if not improved, ballistics and readily available components.

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COAL is 3.063" which puts it close to the 7x57 in terms of length (3.070"). For comparison, a 7mm-08 is 2.80". A short action M70 can be opened up for the 7x57 and I suspect the same would be the case with the 6.5x54mm.

Edited to add: I guess Roger and I posted at the same time-- he's right, build a Creedmoor (or a .260).

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Krikey...the best laid plans...

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, listen to Roger; he and I were in ROTC together and he knows his stuff. We were both gunsmithing way back then too.
He was known as RA then; Regular Army.

Posts: 17044 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Not only would the small rim diameter be a pain, but where are you going to get the ammo or cases? If you've got some, perhaps you could sell them to me for my old MS Wink and make your rifle up in something more modern.

Posts: 4914 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Not only would the small rim diameter be a pain, but where are you going to get the ammo or cases? If you've got some, perhaps you could sell them to me for my old MS Wink and make your rifle up in something more modern.

I made a special die to swage down 308's to 6.5 Jap. I also found it that it would swage down 7x57 for 6.5MS which I did because I built one on a Savage 110. I didn't have any problems with the 308 bolt head as we know the 7x57 case fits it just fine.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Who says ammo or brass is a problem?

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...&utm_campaign=243394

https://www.grafs.com/retail/c...duct/productId/12644

Well, I guess I’ll have to go another route. My brother suggested the Creed right away...just not sure I can do it... ;-)

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Good to see, assuming it's any good. It's certainly cheap enough. Getting it to Australia might be another matter, 'cause it was like hens teeth around here, last time I looked. I must check to see if the local Midway brings it in.

Posts: 4914 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see the point re the 6.5CM. However the 6.5x55 is just about as old as the 6.5x54MS and steeped in as much history, but ammo is still readily available.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote