Find
Notify
Tools

Husky H5000 Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
ROUNDTUIT project has reappeared out from the bowels of lockdown in the lockbox.

Seemed simple enough, new stock for the Husky H5000 in 7mm Mag.

Everything I could find (very old references on the net) says Mauser 98.

Seem like when I tried this last time, a 98 stock was not even close.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I would leave it in the wood stock it came with except one of the ham fisted prior owners fancied that he knew how to freshen up the checkering.
If I can't find a replacement stock, I will guess I will look to see how much wood will be left if I just remove the checkering altogether.

As an aside it has the weirdest rifling I have ever seen. I had never noticed until i looked at the "lube star" on the muzzle after an extended cast projie slinging session.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the 98 stock.

Apply the right amount of glass bedding. Go on your way.

I have a given to me a 95 "sporterized" in 7x57 the inside of the stock a decent piece of walnut. Was shattered by a horrible bedding job.

Being frugal some would call me cheap.

I firmed up the splinters with a thinned epoxy.

Kind of reshaped those areas added internal cross bolts and wrist bolt.

Used the right about of glass bedding.

Now it has a wood shell on the out side and a glass interior. Cannot tell by looking at the out side.

And well put 3 shots into one hole.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, Husqvarne never made a copy of the 98 Mauser. Which is why it didn't fit when you tried that.
Small ring, 1.3, and 7.1 ish hole spacing.
Sweden only made derivatives of the 96 Mauser. No inner receiver ring. Of which the H5000 is one. And to compound things, they used a cast aluminum bottom metal starting in the mid 50s, which is a unique shape.
And the rear tang is a little different.
I would get a 93/5/6/38 stock and fit that.
Measure your guard screw hole spacing and that will tell you immediately. Real 98 vs a modified 96.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I do have an HVA small ring with FN bottom metal. Steve Berg , who built it, claimed it basically was a simple fit.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, the H5000 has a small ring receiver and the guard screw spacing of a standard Mauser 98. The differences are in the bolt release, the guard screws and the safety and tang. A Mauser 98 bottom metal will fit with slight modification and looks much better than the late model cast versions. A small ring 98 stock with 98 bottom metal will work well if not machined for the bolt stop.

Posts: 45 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, and to elucidate a bit; I have a couple of them in my Pile O Actions. And I looked at one for the first time in decades just now. I was wrong on the hole spacing; it is standard 98 length.
They are not 98s, as I said above, they are a variation of the 96 Mauser. They have no inner ring at all and the bolt looks like a 93/5/6/38. They do have the same hole spacing as a 98, and a 98 length bottom metal will fit, IF you remove the rear tang; there is no room for it in the mag well opening.
So, yes a 98 Small ring stock and a standard 98 mag box will work fine. They do have the little tab for a bolt stop; and the ejector is not in that; it is underneath like on a Model 70.
So do what WJW said.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote