New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best rec for a replacement trigger for an AR 15
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best choice for a good trigger on an AR15? I have an M&P Sport, very nice but the trigger is not good
What should I get?

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your question just leads to another question, what price range are you thinking of? I've ordered and install several Geissele triggers which are very nice , but IMO pricey @ $240. Check Timneys' web site for their offerings. RRA offers "Match" and "Varmint" triggers, also. The AR isn't really my 'thing' except if I'm fitting a custom barrel from a blank.

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on your uses, pocketbook, and expectations. You can buy a very good "combat" trigger for about $80 from either ALG-ACT (which is really a Geissele product) or a LArue trigger. They are both high quality and follow the basic USGI format but with enhanced lighter and crisper triggers. Very nice if you are just goofing around.

In my world if you intend to do target work, varmint work, or serious social work I don't think there is any other choice than a Geissele. But you are looking at $170-250 bucks plus or minus depending on the model. They make several different models for specific purposes. SO figure out what you are trying to accomplsh. Geissele are really they gold standard here and have been proven for more than a decade in some pretty nasty places by our top tier military operators. You cannot go wrong.

But for just getting a little better trigger and not sacrificing USGI reliability the Larue or ALG Act will serve you well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not get an RRA. They aren't case hardened very deep and wear out. I've had two. One lasted about 500 rounds and the other made is just over 300. These aren't hard use rifles either.

Jard, Elftmann, Rise Armament, Timney, Geissle, and CMC are all good. I really like the Jard triggers these days for a single stage. Geissele is excellent, but you pay for it.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have a JP and a Wilson TTU. Both are fine. I would not hesitate to buy a LaRue unit. As far as the others I can't say.

First decide if you want a single or two-stage trigger then go from there.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Velocity. 3lb. Straight or curved. Locks pins in place so they don’t back out. About $135.00.

Posts: 152 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I like Geissele triggers for ARs. Not inexpensive, but they are the best I have tried. I also use locking pins.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I like Geissele triggers for ARs. Not inexpensive, but they are the best I have tried. I also use locking pins.

My experience as well, I use the SSA-E. I don't use locking pins though, the pins provided by Geissele with the triggers have held up to many 458 socom rounds with no movement.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
CMC or timney, !4#. if you like 2 stage, get it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI...the only pins that can move on an AR trigger are pins on guns that have been assembled incorrectly. The trigger pins on a standard AR are heavily grooved and the legs of the hammer spring rest in those groves and make it impossible for the pins to walk. People often get the legs of the hammer spring under the trigger pins and while the gun will cycle and fire with this situation the pins will walk out over time. SO if your hammer/trigger pins are walking double check your assembly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Jard. Zero perceptible movement before it goes off at 3 lbs.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote